• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Controller & WN Pilots suspended.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There seems to always be two groups anytime flyers end up in the media: those who hang them (really, trying in vain to prove their own superiority) and those that give them the benefit of the doubt and have their back.

I'll have their back until the investigation is closed.

And for those who want to launch fighters for this- how much money are you willing to waste to do what?--- protect st. Pete from a cirrus two miles up??

Don't call yourself a fiscal conservative if you think that's a good idea- maybe launch a CAP c210 eventually... Or have a police chopper already up check him out if he gets lower near civilization... But fighters?? C'mon-

Well, generalizations are always wrong and framing it with an insult certainly doesn't add to the debate.
We make decisions on the fly in this business and that's what this guy was faced with. It's easy to sit here and judge, but, the general opinion seems to agree that forming up on a private pilot with an airliner full of paxs is not a great choice. Especially given the fact that you have no idea what his reaction will be or his mental state.

Really? Think about that next time someone starts asking for help on guard "I must get pax to destination, ignore guard call."

I guess this places you in the same group that would have "gone around because it's safer" with the sleeping controller incident.

Of course you don't ignore it, it's HOW you handle it that counts.

Do you honestly know the mental state of every taildragger in the 19L pattern at SNA?
Those things bomb in at us at 300'-

I'm not saying this isn't a mistake- I'm saying that we don't know enough yet to hang them-
Maybe you trust the media's version of events more than I do. But a vast majority of times, I do trust the judgement of an ATP- they get my benefit of the doubt- and if you don't like insults- don't do things that require them- to me it's a dick move to judge these guys yet- are you saying me backing off or toning it down would help the debate? Sorry- I disagree w/ that premise- I respect every poster on FI- but not every opinion.

Had a T-34 join up on a F-14 years back, Tomcat was flying level overhead NAS field. T-34 instructor took controls from student and went to join up on Tomcat. The T-34 got got sucked onto the tomcat's right wing. (heavy plane vs light plane) F-14 flew over the gulf and swept it's wings back to allow the airstream to push what was left of the T-34 fuselage off the Toms wing. 2 pilots dead, lesson learned.

Senator Heinz and 6 Others Killed In Midair Crash Near Philadelphia

By JOHN H. CUSHMAN Jr., Special to The New York Times
Published: April 05, 1991

Senator John Heinz and six other people died today when his chartered plane collided in the air with a helicopter inspecting the plane's landing gear.

Burning wreckage fell on the grounds of an elementary school in nearby Lower Merion Township; two of the dead were children playing outside at noon recess.

Besides Senator Heinz, a Pennsylvania Republican, two other people on his plane and the two pilots on the helicopter were killed in the collision. At least two other children, the school custodian and an unknown number of other bystanders were injured, the local authorities said. One boy was burned critically.

The collision came after the Senator's plane reported a problem with its landing gear and the helicopter offered to fly nearby to see whether the gear was down for a landing, according to preliminary reports from aviation officials in Washington...

Had a T-34 join up on a F-14 years back, Tomcat was flying level overhead NAS field. T-34 instructor took controls from student and went to join up on Tomcat. The T-34 got got sucked onto the tomcat's right wing. (heavy plane vs light plane) F-14 flew over the gulf and swept it's wings back to allow the airstream to push what was left of the T-34 fuselage off the Toms wing. 2 pilots dead, lesson learned.

Those T-34's must have some kinda power to join up with a "Tomcat" in the pattern. If it did happen, it sounds more like a mid-air vs a rejoin.

Senator Heinz and 6 Others Killed In Midair Crash Near Philadelphia

By JOHN H. CUSHMAN Jr., Special to The New York Times
Published: April 05, 1991

Senator John Heinz and six other people died today when his chartered plane collided in the air with a helicopter inspecting the plane's landing gear.

Burning wreckage fell on the grounds of an elementary school in nearby Lower Merion Township; two of the dead were children playing outside at noon recess.

Besides Senator Heinz, a Pennsylvania Republican, two other people on his plane and the two pilots on the helicopter were killed in the collision. At least two other children, the school custodian and an unknown number of other bystanders were injured, the local authorities said. One boy was burned critically.

The collision came after the Senator's plane reported a problem with its landing gear and the helicopter offered to fly nearby to see whether the gear was down for a landing, according to preliminary reports from aviation officials in Washington...

That pretty much says it all right there...

Theres a very simple rule to follow in the airline business for keeping your nose clean, and it goes like this...

If it ain't printed in black and white... on a page in a manual... at your finger-tips... available for you to read...DON'T DO IT.

You want cool factor? ...join the airshow circuit. You "jonesing" to fly formation?...join the military.

The airlines are for smooth, straight and level flight, designed to provide THE SAFEST POSSIBLE outcome for it's passengers...PERIOD.

Latest resources

Back