Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

btodd77

Hey All,
Thinking about a career switch from pilot to controller, but my problem is my age. Just hit 32 a month ago. Have any of you heard of exceptions being made to the age 31 rule and if so under what circumstances? Thanks
BT

I am over the age limit as well. I found there are no exceptions. I have also heard that it is hard to get anywhere as a controller if you are not military.

I've heard of plenty of non-military people who have gotten in as controllers, in fact, recently (past 4 years) the majority of FAA new hires are NON prior-military. They've even done some off the street hiring.

But there is no way around the age limit.

btodd, what's wrong with flying? based on your profile it seems like you've got a decent gig going...I'd imagine flying a Citation X you're making $130k or so, which is equivalent to controller pay. The lifestyle killing you?

I tried to get a waiver to the age thingy years ago. Went through the EEOC and filed complaints with every 'constituent services' congressional staffer that covers my area. Was told in no uncertain terms that it's a "young man's game." Stupid rule if you ask me. You can get hired as a federal cop or fireman up to 37 or 40. How it isn't age discrimination, especially after the abomination of legislation on the age 60 deal, is beyond me. Would have been great to be able to cover my nut and still come home every day. Hotel living blows.

I have been trying to become a controller and I am 30, but turn 31 yearly next year. I have been told you have to go through a Controller course. Such as at UND. I haven't gone through the course but have a degree. Any help on this matter?

I have been trying to become a controller and I am 30, but turn 31 yearly next year. I have been told you have to go through a Controller course. Such as at UND. I haven't gone through the course but have a degree. Any help on this matter?[/QUOTE

You have to be done and certified and on the list to be hired before your 31st birthday.. This was how it was explained to me years ago... However, I could be wrong.

I have been trying to become a controller and I am 30, but turn 31 yearly next year. I have been told you have to go through a Controller course. Such as at UND. I haven't gone through the course but have a degree. Any help on this matter?[/QUOTE

You have to be done and certified and on the list to be hired before your 31st birthday.. This was how it was explained to me years ago... However, I could be wrong.

All my friend did was take the federal government test....passed, and got an interview and got accepted to go to training in OKC.....I don't know if it helped that he has all his pilot ratings as well, but he did not have to take a course beforehand. I think it used to be that way, but not now....he's about to go to Chicago Tracon as his first gig.....smart move on his part.....he chose, wisely.......makes me almost wish I would have done it, but I'm already 30 and turn 31 in October 2010.....so I don't think I could even get it in time.

Latest resources

Back