Contract work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sparse

Anyone have any sugestions on how to get into the part 91 contract business? I am current PIC on C-500 series. I have sent a few letters to operators that I found on the FAA website, but it is too early to tell if I get a repsonse.

Drop resumes. Find people who operate your a/c in the area and just tell them who you are and what you do. Contract work is all about how well you get along with people. Be nice, relaxed, easy-going. It has payed off in spades for me and I've only been at it in my spare time for a few months now. Granted, there are a lot of guys with Citation ratings.....but my guess is that it would place more emphasis on the personality. DO NOT undercut anyone to get the work, though. That's not the right way(not assuming you would). Find out what the going rate is in your area for type-rated pilots and stick to it. Once you get a couple of regular jobs word of mouth is the best way to get more.

Definately takes time. The 560 is a common AC to contract on at some of the medium to large airports. Network and get your name out there. The work will come. Slowly at first, then more and more as you get to know people. the hard part is paying the taxes. Last year, I spent the checks as they came in and I payed dearly on april 15th. Set aside 35% a paycheck and you should come out slick or even ahead.

Thanks for the responses. If most of my time is on the 550, is the 560 an easy enough transition without any formal training?

Thanks for the responses. If most of my time is on the 550, is the 560 an easy enough transition without any formal training?

For the most part both birds are the same until you push the power levers forward, then you'll notice. Likewise, you'll also notice the difference on the hobbs also. When your heavy in the 560 (usually anything over 12,500) for landing, you'll usually need to carry some power until your in the flare. Forget having to stop at FL350 with a full load, you can take her on up. Don't get me wrong, the 550 is a great bird but you'll love the 560! I miss it! Have fun.

not a problem. a few small system changes from the bravo to ultra. in one flight you will have it figured out. The 550 is lighter on the controlls, but no big deal. enjoy.

Latest resources

Back