contingency fuel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DX Jake

On a normal VFR day with no problems forescast, do most of you guys have a standard contingency policy, or do you guys plan a FAR arrival, whatever it may be, with respect to the aircraft type? Just curious.

We're supplemental so we have a (somewhat) built-in cushion with the required alternate fuel.

The amount of contingency fuel (on VFR days) are geared more to the locale of the trip rather than the type of aircraft. If we're operating over Cuba (where the overflight permit may occasionally be denied), in Europe (where Eurocontrol may decide we need to do some donuts), Afghanistan, Uzbek, or other crazy places it's always good to have some "money in the bank".

We have a fuel policy that was implemented in Oct 2005 and it gives us guidelines as to what we can do for fuel. Dont really like it but it considers where your going and how much you are allowed to use for hold, wx, time of day erc.... If we lower or raise fuel, we have to submit a report as to why...

DX Jake said:
On a normal VFR day with no problems forescast, do most of you guys have a standard contingency policy, or do you guys plan a FAR arrival, whatever it may be, with respect to the aircraft type? Just curious.

We are required per our company's "fuel policy" to dispatch all flights at minimum fuel if no alternate is required or no holding forcasted. It basically states that we cannot give hold fuel into an airport where no holding is forcasted or expected and we have a 210 pound minimum tanker on our CRJ200's and a 280 pound min tanker on our CRJ701's. So, basically, if there is no ATC reported holding into KPHL, technically, we aren't supposed to give hold fuel...but most people know that if KPHL reports any weather other than SKC, there's gonna be holding. I, personally, like to give at least 4-7 minutes in the hold on all releases for flights arriving at outstations just to give the crew a little decision fuel in case the dude in the C172 balls it up on the runway. (i.e. KHPN about 6 months ago) Had to divert to LGA due to no alternate required and no additional fuel to hold for any substantial amount of time because of a small aircraft accident on the runway.

Last edited:
I also fly for a supplemental carrier. Even so, we use a dispatch office and the dispatchers prepare the flight release. There a guidelines for contingency fuel based on forcast weather. Most dispatchers add a little more. The FOM requires the dispatcher and I agree on the release; my agreement is indicated by my signiture. If I disagree I call the dispatcher, and we chat. Since I fly domestically, am required to have fuel to an alternate all the time, and there are lots of airports available before you start down from the FL's I rarely feel the need to disagree. If I were flying overwater or to another country I might feel differently.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back