• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

XSWANN@240

Watch this! hold my beer
Hello,

I was just wondering. Once you completed the online application, how long did it take to receive an invitation for an interview?

thanks

depends on who you know.

I have friends who do not know a single person over there are still waiting.

Some of my other friends with connections all got called within a few weeks after applying.

It's sad that an airline recruitment department runs that way, but what the hell, it's their airline.

Last edited:
(o) (o) said:
depends on who you know.

Some of my other friends with connections all got called within a few weeks after applying.

It's sad that an airline recruitment department runs that way, but what the hell, it's their airline.

Who do/did you fly the A-340 for?

I right now have two internal recs and have not heard a thing. My app. has been in since late May. Maybe it is because I worked at COEX for a number of years and left. Who know's but good luck...

Like FedEX, UPS, and Southwest run theirs any differently? You probably aren't going to get a call from ANY major US airline in this climate w/o at having at least one internal rec. (JetBlue being an exception)

propjob27 said:
Like FedEX, UPS, and Southwest run theirs any differently? You probably aren't going to get a call from ANY major US airline in this climate w/o at having at least one internal rec. (JetBlue being an exception)

You're probably right.

But that's not necessarily the best way to recruit people, wouldn't you agree?

There are lots of good prospects out there who unfortunately don't know anyone. And the airlines are missing out by eliminating them without even giving them a chance.

There are lots of good prospects out there who unfortunately don't know anyone. And the airlines are missing out by eliminating them without even giving them a chance.

You are probably right but most of the airlines hire on personality. If you are qualified for the interview then you are (usually) qualified to fly an airplane safely which means there are thousands of applicants to choose from. It is so important to hire the right personality for the position. We have all finished a trip at some point in our career and said, "Man, I hope I never have to fly with that guy again". That's what they are trying to avoid. I think CAL (and the rest of the industry) is relying on recommendations so heavily because it's a known quantity. Anyone can fake it during an interview and CAL doesn't want to be stuck with someone for the next 25 years if they don't have too. It seems to be working because everyone I have met at CAL has been great! No egos!!!

I hope you get a call
Good Luck.

Hello-
I have been at CAL since June, I was in the 3rd off the street new hire class. I had 1 recommendation, and got a call 10 days after applying. It really is luck, but the internal recommendation from a chief pilot or any management who can endorse an application is the way to get in CAL. I guess they had 13000 apps within the first 15 days it was online. I was from 2 regional's and a 135 cargo job. Good luck getting in. It's everything I thought it would be, great people who are not negative, great airplanes and great routes. ( I like the great tonight) They are supposed to hire 60 a month until late summer now. Lots of people retiring with the gat rate down right now. Hope this helps-
BB9000CDE

(o) (o) said:
depends on who you know.

The reason they take internal recommendations so seriously is simple. Most of the applicants and most pilots for that matter could be trained to do the job safely. However they are looking for more than the ability to do the job safely. It's has been CAL's previous experience that internal recommendations from good solid pilots/employee's have worked very well. I have heard the quote from the EWR chief pilot several times "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". Like I said in other threads recommendations from the wrong CAL pilots (from the 5% who constantly get into trouble and are always on the edge literally) is the kiss of death even if the applicant doesn't fit that criteria.

Unlike another airline that uses employment contracts. When you work for an airline represented by a collective bargaining agent covered by a collective bargaining agreement (union and contract) once off probation it is difficult to get rid of unwanted employees, and even some they do let go eventually get their job back through the grievance process. The company must have "just cause" to fire a pilot off probation.

Last edited:
Also, I think having a requirement for knowing a current CAL (or insert airline here) pilot is great! It shows your social capability. For those of you who are qualified but don't know anyone, think outside the box!!!!! I feel that you will find a CAL pilot within 1 or 2 people of yourself.

Ex. You know someone who knows a CAL pilot or someone who knows someone who knows a CAL pilot. That is true!!!!

Good luck! Also, if you don't know any, start to jumpseat on them if they are an option for your commute.

SFR

Latest resources

Back