Continental To Lower Baggage Weight Maximum

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flechas

Continental is looking to curtail exorbitant fuel spending by reducing the weight limit on checked baggage for international flights to 50 pounds per bag for up to two bags.
"The new U.S. Department of Transportation-approved policy,
which makes Continental's international checked baggage allowance consistent with its domestic baggage policy, is necessary to recoup increased handling and fuel costs associated with carrying heavier bags," the carrier said.
Continental will allow for free a maximum of two bags that weigh up to 70 pounds each for passengers using international tickets through Sept. 6.
Excess baggage charges, $25 per piece of baggage over 50 lbs., will take effect Sept. 7, Continental said.
Continental's OnePass Elite members, BusinessFirst, FirstClass customers and
military passengers on tour may check baggage with the higher 70-pound
maximum weight for no extra charge.
Delta recently said it would push its employees to be more aggressive about charging fees for heavy or extra bags to collect 50% more baggage fees this year than in 2004 (DAILY, Aug. 1). -AK

At least it's the pax this time, not the employees taking the hit!

I would hope that the people at the 70 pound mark are a minority and not a large part of the customer base, because pissing your customers off simply doesn't sound like a good idea.

But hey, that's just me.

ShawnC said:
I would hope that the people at the 70 pound mark are a minority and not a large part of the customer base, because pissing your customers off simply doesn't sound like a good idea.

But hey, that's just me.

"Continental's OnePass Elite members, BusinessFirst, FirstClass customers and
military passengers on tour may check baggage with the higher 70-pound
maximum weight for no extra charge."

Notice the "important" people can still have 70lb bags. The lower limit only applies to steerage pax who don't care how they're treated as long as the price is low enough. Too bad they can't just price their tickets to actually cover the cost of operating, that would be too easy I guess.

Latest resources

Back