Continental Redeems Golden Share, considers leaving SkyTeam

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagle757shark

Continental reports first-quarter loss, redeems golden share, considers leaving SkyTeam

Friday April 18, 2008
Continental Airlines reported a first-quarter net loss of $80 million, reversed from a $22 million profit in the year-ago period, and confirmed yesterday that it has redeemed Northwest Airlines' "golden share" that prevented CO from entering into merger agreements.
NWA's golden share was contingent on the former not entering into any merger agreement. Its tie-up pact with Delta Air Lines earlier this week (ATWOnline, April 16) allowed CO to buy back the share for $100, leaving the Houston-based carrier free to explore a merger of its own. Chairman and CEO Larry Kellner said that an approved NWA-DL merger "will change the competitive landscape" of the US industry, adding that the proposed combination has caused CO to consider its "strategic" options. "We're reviewing our continued participation" in the SkyTeam alliance, he said, but emphasized that it remained "important that we're a major player in one of the three alliances." He declined further comment on any merger possibilities but said, "We have flexibility."
Kellner insisted the first-quarter loss was a "solid" result given high fuel costs, "excess capacity" in the domestic market, the US credit crisis and a weakening economy. To contend with the difficult environment, CO will cut domestic mainline capacity by 5% on an annual run-rate basis beginning this fall. It said yesterday it will remove from service an additional 14 737-300s as their leases expire from September 2008 to April 2009. It already had planned to remove 34 -300s/-500s from service this year and next.
First-quarter revenue increased 12.3% to $3.57 billion but expenses jumped 16.7% to $3.64 billion led by a 53.2% leap in fuel costs to $1.05 billion, producing an operating loss of $66 million, reversed from a $64 million profit last year. Mainline traffic grew 4.4% to 19.92 billion RPMs on a 4.8% rise in capacity to 25.28 billion ASMs, resulting in a load factor of 78.8%, down 1.1 points. Yield increased 7.2% 13.45 cents as RASM lifted 7.1% to 11.93 cents and CASM climbed 11.6% to 11.79 cents.

by Aaron Karp

Continental reports first-quarter loss, redeems golden share, considers leaving SkyTeam

Friday April 18, 2008
Continental Airlines reported a first-quarter net loss of $80 million, reversed from a $22 million profit in the year-ago period, and confirmed yesterday that it has redeemed Northwest Airlines' "golden share" that prevented CO from entering into merger agreements.
NWA's golden share was contingent on the former not entering into any merger agreement. Its tie-up pact with Delta Air Lines earlier this week (ATWOnline, April 16) allowed CO to buy back the share for $100, leaving the Houston-based carrier free to explore a merger of its own. Chairman and CEO Larry Kellner said that an approved NWA-DL merger "will change the competitive landscape" of the US industry, adding that the proposed combination has caused CO to consider its "strategic" options. "We're reviewing our continued participation" in the SkyTeam alliance, he said, but emphasized that it remained "important that we're a major player in one of the three alliances." He declined further comment on any merger possibilities but said, "We have flexibility."
Kellner insisted the first-quarter loss was a "solid" result given high fuel costs, "excess capacity" in the domestic market, the US credit crisis and a weakening economy. To contend with the difficult environment, CO will cut domestic mainline capacity by 5% on an annual run-rate basis beginning this fall. It said yesterday it will remove from service an additional 14 737-300s as their leases expire from September 2008 to April 2009. It already had planned to remove 34 -300s/-500s from service this year and next.
First-quarter revenue increased 12.3% to $3.57 billion but expenses jumped 16.7% to $3.64 billion led by a 53.2% leap in fuel costs to $1.05 billion, producing an operating loss of $66 million, reversed from a $64 million profit last year. Mainline traffic grew 4.4% to 19.92 billion RPMs on a 4.8% rise in capacity to 25.28 billion ASMs, resulting in a load factor of 78.8%, down 1.1 points. Yield increased 7.2% 13.45 cents as RASM lifted 7.1% to 11.93 cents and CASM climbed 11.6% to 11.79 cents.

by Aaron Karp

48 airplanes in two years is this correct?

Last edited:
Tough market. If they leave SkyTeam, I will be surprised.

Tough market. If they leave SkyTeam, I will be surprised.

If I were a betting man... I think they will join Star Alliance when they merge with UAL and the 2 of them will get anti-trust immunity with Lufthansa.

What about widebody growth.

Two of the recently added 777 orders come in the last quarter of '09. The rest are 2011 and beyond (and can be converted to 787's), I'm pretty sure that we're not counting on getting any of the 787's until 2010.

We have 363 aircraft in service right now. In the earnings conference call it was stated that we will end 2008 with 379 aircraft and end 2009 with 369 aircraft.

They would probably end 2008 with the 369 number if they could but most of the classic 737's that are being retired are coming off of leases so they are wating until the leases expire.

Last edited:
If I were a betting man... I think they will join Star Alliance when they merge with UAL and the 2 of them will get anti-trust immunity with Lufthansa.

It was also stated in the earnings call yesterday that we need to be in one of the three major global alliances in order to survive. So I would suspect that any move out of Skyteam would be in to the Star Alliance or the One World Alliance.

I'm not sure how the One World move would work but who knows? That may be the preferrable route for us.

I think Continental and Alaska will merge, and USAir and United will merge. Continental and Alaska can still stay in the skyteam if that happens.

I think Continental and Alaska will merge, and USAir and United will merge. Continental and Alaska can still stay in the skyteam if that happens.

Alaska is a good airline and would be a good fit, route wise, but its not enough.

If the DAL/NWA deal goes through we will need to grow rapidly to compete. The problem is where do we get the aircraft from? Especially the widebodies? Boeing is backordered and Airbus isn't even a consideration.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back