Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Pilots Union and Continental Airlines Sign Protocol Agreement for Negotia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

geshields

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070702/lam101.html?.v=83

HOUSTON, July 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Representatives from the Continental pilots' union, the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), and Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - News) met today to sign a Protocol Agreement that sets the stage for the parties to begin talks about changes to the pilots' contract. The agreement outlines the schedule, location and agenda for talks about the non-economic contract issues. Without the agreement, discussions on changes to the current contract would not have started until April 2008. Last May, the union asked the company to begin discussions early, this summer, in order to complete the process by the contract's amendable date, Dec. 31, 2008. The company responded favorably to this request, leading to the Protocol Agreement that was signed today.

"We're encouraged to see Continental's management take this forward thinking approach in working with its pilots," said Capt. Jay Pierce, chairman of the union's Negotiating Committee. "By agreeing to start talking about the non-economic portions of our contract now, we will help to ensure that we have plenty of time to thoroughly discuss and refine all areas of the contract. Starting the process now allows us an opportunity to address issues that otherwise might get less attention."

Added Capt. Tom Donaldson, chairman of the Continental Master Executive Council, the governing body of the Continental pilots' union, "Continental Airlines management has shown that it is interested in working with its pilots in a way that other airlines are not. Working with employee groups and not against them is one of the best ways, we believe, of contributing to an airline's success." "Open, honest and direct communication with our pilots, and all of our work groups, is part of our culture at Continental," said Capt. Fred Abbott, vice president flight operations. "We look forward to continuing and even strengthening the mutually beneficial, cooperative relationship we already have with our pilots."

Here's to setting the bar higher...:beer:

" "Open, honest and direct communication with our pilots, and all of our work groups, is part of our culture at Continental," said Capt. Fred Abbott, vice president flight operations. "We look forward to continuing and even strengthening the mutually beneficial, cooperative relationship we already have with our pilots."

No open time pick-up for you fat man...........
You go home now...............
You been here 24 years...............
Pilot concession buffet closed...............
You go home now............

Maybe I'm a bit of a pessimist but all of this "get it done early" talk from management seems fishy.

Maybe they want our contract done first so that we don't have American's new contract to build off.

Maybe they want it done early so that there are less newhires able to vote on a TA.

Maybe they are just trying to do the right thing...

Maybe they want our contract done first so that we don't have American's new contract to build off.

that's my biggest concern with rushing the process. it's likely that AMR will drag out the AA contract. and it's likely that AA pilots get a great contract. for CAL to ink a deal before AA would be a win for management and a loss for CAL pilots.

unless, of course, CAL pilots get a UPS/FedEx type deal. is that likely?

American has been negotiating for about a year already. The very earliest CAL will have a TA and that is extremely optimistic is December 31 2008 our amendable date.

Look anything is possible but I would think AA would get a TA before us or at least very close to ours. Our contractual objectives are very large. I promise you when we get into the meat and potatoes of this contract the pace of negotiations will come to a stand still and SPSC and the pilot group will be tested immensely.

Our contractual goal is a solid comprehensive contract, not one that just addresses pay and retirement. If I see our union stray and weaken our position I will call BS like I did during contract 02 negotiations and go right to the pilots. Maybe this time they will listen.

Maybe I'm a bit of a pessimist but all of this "get it done early" talk from management seems fishy.

It's a common remark from management along with "we want to work with the union to achieve a win-win situation."

Your mileage may vary.

American has been negotiating for about a year already. The very earliest CAL will have a TA and that is extremely optimistic is December 31 2008 our amendable date.

Look anything is possible but I would think AA would get a TA before us or at least very close to ours. Our contractual objectives are very large. I promise you when we get into the meat and potatoes of this contract the pace of negotiations will come to a stand still and SPSC and the pilot group will be tested immensely.

Our contractual goal is a solid comprehensive contract, not one that just addresses pay and retirement. If I see our union stray and weaken our position I will call BS like I did during contract 02 negotiations and go right to the pilots. Maybe this time they will listen.

That's the kind of talk I want to hear.

that's my biggest concern with rushing the process. it's likely that AMR will drag out the AA contract. and it's likely that AA pilots get a great contract. for CAL to ink a deal before AA would be a win for management and a loss for CAL pilots.

unless, of course, CAL pilots get a UPS/FedEx type deal. is that likely?

Totally agree with you on this one.

AA pilot's group versus CAl pilot group?

Sorry but we are historically different and frankly havent' seen anything(at CAL) to think different.

Bottomline they have balls our group doesnt......Hope Im wrong.

On Time?

I want the RIGHT contract on-time. If that can't be delivered in the time frame, I'll wait.

Regardless, I want the RIGHT contract.

The message needs to get out to our pilot group as to what the "right" contract is. Simply getting at x% pay raise and first class crew rest seats for 756 guys isn't a "right" contract.

The contract committee needs to start at the first letter of this POS contract and stop at the last period. Virtually everything needs to be changed. The only thing that I have found that is worthwhile is SCOPE. They have a big hill to climb, I just hope we as a pilot group are willing to do what it takes to get a completely new contract.

We need to stop hearing phrases like "Management will never go for that, so why ask" or " I don't sit reserve so I don't care about reserve rules" and " I don't commute so I don't think we need a new commuter policy, plus they should live in domicle anyway."

Good luck to our negotiators.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back