Continental O-300 engines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

proav

I have operated a flight school for the last 8 years. I have used C150's and C172's. I am in the process of scaling back my operation and am considering buying a 1957 or 1958 C172. Has anyone had experience with using the Continental O-300 engine for flight training? How well does it hold up? I think certain models are not able to be upgraded to a mechanical driven vacume pump but I don't know what models they are. I know the Lycoming O-320 is pretty bullet proof and the O-200 does an ok job in the 150. I am looking to own just one plane and the investment in a 58' 172 is a lot less than my 76' that I currently own.
Any thoughts?

Our 0-300D never gets about 250 on the CHT and the analyzer never goes into the "shock cool" mode because the cylinders don't get hot enough to do that, so thats a plus for training. As for how they hold up? No clue, ours is personal use only. Just remember that there's 2 more cylinders to replace, and the 0-300 if not treated right will lead foul. The 0-300A and B can't have a vacuum pump the C&D can so it depends on what your a/c has. We have a C-172 with a A engine and a C-170 with a D engine both run exactly the same.

As the part owner of two FBO's, I would stick with the old "68" with a O-320. Period. One of the secrets of majoring an O-200 is to use the valves of the GO-145, like in a 175. Valve sticking with this darn 100LL will become less of a problem.

www.bdkingpress.com

Yeah, that ol' O-300's a decent little engine, but for flight school ops, the Lyc will hold up much better.

I love the O300D in my '67 172 but we use Lycs for the flight school planes. I don't want to put MMO in the flight school's gas tanks.

Latest resources

Back