Continental laying off MX personnel during neg's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tie1on

CONTRACT time is here mgt, is laying off personnel. got to love the lack of leadership at the top in IAH. what a bunch of loosers

The mechanics laughed at management and their proposal...
Now management wants to scare the mechanics and do lay offs...

The company comes out with their financials and low and behold, we made a profit last quarter..
The company also says that they will be increasing our fleet by 10 aircraft, and also add flights.

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Continental Airlines Inc. (CAL 20.18, -0.44, -2.13%) said Thursday its 2010 consolidated capacity is expected to grow 1% to 2% from 2009, with mainline capacity up 1.5% to 2.5%. International mainline capacity in 2010 is projected to climb 4% to 5%, while domestic capacity is expected to be flat versus 2009. For the next six weeks, transatlantic bookings are up 10 to 11 points and transpacific bookings are up 2 to 3 points, but domestic bookings are down 1 to 2 points. Regional bookings are also lower by 1 to 2 points. For the first quarter, Continental expects its planes will be fuller, with load factors up about 3 points.

Going to be interesting to see how this works when maintenance slows down, crews call in sick or fatigued, and the system gets hit with weather.

Anyone want to bet that CAL's operation this summer makes the NWA deal of summer 06/07 look like a well oiled machine?!

Sad thing is, this will be our first summer as a Star Alliance Partner.. and instead of shining, I see a pretty dull operation coming~

Oh Well...
motch

Last edited:
a few retirements would make their day even better. The harvard mentality has struk again, no vision at all . the summer from hell is on it's way . it's mgt against the employees, no wonder Larry retired

Me thinks MERGER on the way, don't know when

Just like the Delta Pilots a few years back when the possibility of a merger with USAir (I think.. ) was in the air, THEY SAID NO!

CAL wants a merger, we can say no too...

I am not fully against a merger, but it's funny- I've got UAL guys in my squadron who were expecting/wanting a merger last year because they hate their management and though that CAL's management was better~

Now we see that our team has no forward vision and instead of treating their employees with D&R and paying a fair wage, they want us to all do more for less while they reap the rewards.

FUPM
Always
Motch

Welcome to Glenn Tilton 101. Looks like the virus has hit over at CAL...that really sucks. Take this the right way (and not the wrong) perhaps together CAL/UAL we can get rid of all these A SSHOLES collectively and actually have a vision and get paid what we are worth and stop the continued assault on the profession whether it be RJs, codeshares, etc.

Welcome to Glenn Tilton 101. Looks like the virus has hit over at CAL...that really sucks. Take this the right way (and not the wrong) perhaps together CAL/UAL we can get rid of all these A SSHOLES collectively and actually have a vision and get paid what we are worth and stop the continued assault on the profession whether it be RJs, codeshares, etc.

Perhaps, but the problem is that during the "right sizing the operation to create additional synergies" process the two employee groups will be at each others throats and the damage will linger for decades. Just like it has at every other merged carrier. There will be furloughs, hurt feelings and outright anger between the groups. To think otherwise is to be foolish.

In a perfect world you would be 100% correct. We would have the best of both worlds, the combined knowhow and power of our two pilot groups and we would all prosper because of it..............problem is, that ain't how it ever goes down. It truly wish it was different but in the interest of preserving what we've all worked for, there can be no other outcome. Everyone will be pissing on their territory and there will be winners and losers. It's a $hity process and I don't see why anyone would volunteer to endure it.

Perhaps, but the problem is that during the "right sizing the operation to create additional synergies" process the two employee groups will be at each others throats and the damage will linger for decades. Just like it has at every other merged carrier. There will be furloughs, hurt feelings and outright anger between the groups. To think otherwise is to be foolish.

Just wondering-
I heard all over this place and other message boards that once Delta/NorthWest merged, furloughs would happen immediately. Then it was that the furloughs would come after a year, then it would happen after SOC and the new bid...

Now Delta (rumor has it) may hire this year, or next. Not one word of furlough.
On the other hand, the new Delta has reduced their RJ's to the point that they have had to furlough. Not that I want anyone to lose their jobs, but obviously Delta did something right when you look at their merger compared to USAir/America West.

I believe a combined CAL/UAL would have less active pilots than the new Delta, yet more aircraft... and if it happened today, we would have over 1300 pilots on the street.
Why would the new merged carrier want/need to furlough?
How many does AA have on the street? How many aircraft?
How many does USAirways have on the street? Aircraft?

My point is, a merger does not have to mean a furlough. And the pilot groups can and should be able to have a major say in the outcome. It happened at Delta, it happened at SouthWest..

Just wondering-
I heard all over this place and other message boards that once Delta/NorthWest merged, furloughs would happen immediately. Then it was that the furloughs would come after a year, then it would happen after SOC and the new bid...

Now Delta (rumor has it) may hire this year, or next. Not one word of furlough.
On the other hand, the new Delta has reduced their RJ's to the point that they have had to furlough. Not that I want anyone to lose their jobs, but obviously Delta did something right when you look at their merger compared to USAir/America West.

I believe a combined CAL/UAL would have less active pilots than the new Delta, yet more aircraft... and if it happened today, we would have over 1300 pilots on the street.
Why would the new merged carrier want/need to furlough?
How many does AA have on the street? How many aircraft?
How many does USAirways have on the street? Aircraft?

My point is, a merger does not have to mean a furlough. And the pilot groups can and should be able to have a major say in the outcome. It happened at Delta, it happened at SouthWest..

With all due respect, 30 years of airline history can not be undone by a single "successful" merger. Recent history does not by itself constitute a new truth with regard to airline mergers. Ask around this board and you'll become well acquainted with the horror stories and their aftermath..........

Latest resources

Back