continental int`l jumpseat ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aveator

Do you have to list(phone list) prior to int`l jumpseating? The alpa jumpseat website says to list at ticket gate 75 min before dep. I am going to try to jumpseat icn-nrt-iah-tpa. I will only have 50 min connection in nrt, am i going to have an issue at gate listing for jumpseat with 50 min or less?

Do you have to list(phone list) prior to int`l jumpseating? The alpa jumpseat website says to list at ticket gate 75 min before dep. I am going to try to jumpseat icn-nrt-iah-tpa. I will only have 50 min connection in nrt, am i going to have an issue at gate listing for jumpseat with 50 min or less?

Not sure about phone listing or gate listing, but just wanted to make sure that you are aware that you cannot cockpit ride on us int'l. I understand you are prob referencing JS to ride in the back, which is fine, but just in case your were planning on cockpit ride, thought I'd give you a heads up...maybe someone else can chime in about about the phone/gate list issue.

i jumpseated on international flights with them, and you just list at the gate. Show up early. Shouldn't have to pay taxes on outbound flight, but you will on the way back.
Not very good at upgrading to first class. They always find an excuse "we have management on board", "didn't see you were there" (I was in uniform). But other than that it was a pretty easy process.
Good luck.

Lousy on getting first class. If the Capt does not get involved plan on being in coach even though there are first class seats avail. F/A seem not to like serving J/s upfront.

m

I JS-ed through NRT last month, and have gone through there half a dozen times. 50 minutes is real tight. Plan to go through security on your international transfer back to the US. You will need to pay a NRT-US Departure tax of about $50 (credit card). The international service center is under staffed and overwhelmed so it may be best to go directly to the gate, where you will need to stand in line with a bunch of people who don't need to be in line, and hope that the agent knows how to charge the tax. And the airport is always hot, just to add to the mix.

I would get a ZED fare to NRT on an earlier All Nippon flight, giving yourself 2 hrs there. If it's no longer possible, try asking the agent at ICN to list you for the JS from NRT, and see if you can pay your taxes there. Definitely list yourself in the back. Good luck; you will need it.

My first post!

Last edited:
When did the 'no-flight deck' policy come in to effect? I've sat in the fd on international flights on CAL...???

It's not exclusive to CAL, you cannot sit on the F/D on an Int'l flt that is double crewed (last time I checked, all NRT flt's to the US are double crewed. As far as J/S through NRT, if you are not at the service desk or the gate by 70 minutes prior to departure, they will not put you on period. They are locals and do not know or even care what "bending" the rules mean. I have been J/S to the orient for over 2 years and here are some facts that I have experienced first hand.

1. It is so important to phone list (especially from east back to the west, ie. dealing with the foreign agents. Plus you need a seat in the cabin
2. Get there early (70 minutes minimum), there is no understanding or stretching of rules, it's very black and white on that side of the world.
3. Talk to the captain, if you don't keep him involved you will not get biz or first class because the agents will not put you there and the F/A's probably won't
4. You have to pay taxes with CC only so give yourself time to take care of that.
that's all I can think of right now, if I remember anything else, I will post it, I am J/S to PVG on tues and I understand your desire for info.

PT

Why not skip all the BS and look into, (perish the thought) a freighter. There are tons of cargo out of ICN. Try Polar Atlas or Connie and go direct to the USA without hassle. Just check there respective websites for listing info. And drop a post in the cargo forum as well.

Good luck

It's not exclusive to CAL, you cannot sit on the F/D on an Int'l flt that is double crewed (last time I checked, all NRT flt's to the US are double crewed. As far as J/S through NRT, if you are not at the service desk or the gate by 70 minutes prior to departure, they will not put you on period. They are locals and do not know or even care what "bending" the rules mean. I have been J/S to the orient for over 2 years and here are some facts that I have experienced first hand.

1. It is so important to phone list (especially from east back to the west, ie. dealing with the foreign agents. Plus you need a seat in the cabin
2. Get there early (70 minutes minimum), there is no understanding or stretching of rules, it's very black and white on that side of the world.
3. Talk to the captain, if you don't keep him involved you will not get biz or first class because the agents will not put you there and the F/A's probably won't
4. You have to pay taxes with CC only so give yourself time to take care of that.
that's all I can think of right now, if I remember anything else, I will post it, I am J/S to PVG on tues and I understand your desire for info.

PT

Just for clarification, the int'l j/s policy at CAL is the same regardless of the crew augmentation...you can't sit there unless you work here.

Latest resources

Back