Continental expanding at DEN?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bobbysamd

I read this in the Denver Rocky Mountain News this morning. Hmmm, interesting.........

New hub for DIA?
Continental considers filling void if UAL leaves Denver, sources say

By David Kesmodel, Rocky Mountain News
March 7, 2003

Continental Airlines Inc. is exploring whether to ratchet up service at Denver International Airport - including possibly launching a DIA hub - if United Airlines slashes operations at the fifth-busiest U.S. airport.

In the past two to three months, schedule planners for Houston-based Continental have been studying the potential redeployment of aircraft, the profitability of routes from DIA and possible capacity changes by United, -DIA's dominant carrier, people familiar with the matter said.

If United, operating under bankruptcy- court protection, dropped the airport as a hub, significantly reduced DIA service or went out of business, Continental would look closely at expanding flights, these sources said.

A Continental spokesman, David Messing, said that "as things stand now, we don't expect to expand in Denver."

However, he said, "The industry is in a great state of flux. If industry conditions change dramatically, we'd have to take a close look at new options that present themselves."

He declined to elaborate.

Dan Melfi, a DIA spokesman, said Continental told him it was doing studies. He said other airlines, including AMR Corp.'s beleaguered American Airlines, also are doing analyses and might look at some type of expansion.

Continental's studies add weight to comments made by the carrier's outspoken chief executive, Gordon Bethune, before United's Dec. 9 bankruptcy filing. Bethune told The New York Times that Continental, which once had a Denver hub, might want to expand in Denver to increase its foothold in the West.

Continental, which has its own financial problems, "has plans that think through all the different" actions Chicago-based United might take, one source said. Continental also is analyzing what other airlines at DIA might do if United slashes operations.

Continental would be, by far, the most likely of the major U.S. airlines to start a DIA hub in place of United, analysts said.

Executives at UAL Corp.'s United say they want to keep DIA as a hub as part of their restructuring strategy. However, the company said recently that its board asked executives to explore closing up to three of the carrier's U.S. hubs, including DIA, as a possible alternative.

United, which has a total of five U.S. hubs, had no comment on Continental's planning.

Continental, the world's seventh-largest airline, has U.S. hubs in Houston, Newark, N.J., and Cleveland. It has 13 daily flights from DIA; each goes to one of the hubs.

Continental was Denver's dominant carrier in the 1980s at Stapleton Airport. After the airline's own bankruptcy and fierce competition with United, it drastically reduced its presence in Denver when DIA opened in 1995.

"If United were to go away, Denver would be an obvious candidate for a major hub again" for Continental, said Scott Hamilton, a Seattle-based industry consultant. "Continental could recall some planes parked in the desert, they could shift capacity, or they could close the Cleveland hub, which has always been kind of a marginal hub for them."

He rated Northwest Airlines Corp. "a distant second" to Continental as a DIA hub candidate and called Southwest Airlines Co. "a way-distant third."

Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest is "very much married" to hubs in Minneapolis and Detroit and could take advantage of Continental starting a Denver hub through its code-sharing alliance with Continental, said Bill Swelbar, managing director at ECLAT Consulting Inc.

Northwest declined comment.

Dallas-based Southwest has long cited high airport costs as a deterrent to serving DIA. The discounter also tends to enter airports with a bigger "catchment area," the population area for which the airport is the closest and most convenient airport, Swelbar said.

Southwest did not respond to a request for comment.

Melfi said Delta Air Lines Inc. and American are among carriers doing studies of adding capacity at DIA if United slashes operations. Delta spokeswoman Peggy Estes, however, said the Atlanta-based carrier is not studying Denver and is focused on its Western hub in Salt Lake City. Fort Worth, Texas- based American declined comment.

"If United liquidates, some (airlines), if not several, are going to have an interest here. Continental is a real possibility," said Elise Eberwein, spokeswoman for Denver-based Frontier Airlines Inc., which serves 12 percent of DIA passengers.

"We'd be interested in growing our presence as well," she said, but added that discounter Frontier would not have the size or wherewithal to stop a large rival from moving in.

Continental, like other major U.S. carriers, has struggled since the U.S. recession and the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. But its losses have not been as great as larger rivals United, AMR and Delta.

Continental posted net losses of $95 million in 2001 and $451 million in 2002. It had $1.34 billion in cash and cash equivalents on Dec. 31.

"Certainly, their balance sheet is very fragile," Swelbar said. "They will be thinking through (any Denver expansion) very carefully."

Continental was among airlines lobbying the federal Air Transportation Stabilization Board last year to deny United's request for a $1.8 billion loan guarantee. The board denied the guarantee Dec. 4, and United filed for Chapter 11 five days later.

(emphasis added)

It would be nice if Continental steps up to the plate, especially because it had input into the design of Denver International Airport. United had more input, but it appears United might being bailing.

Considering they have all their MD80's in the desert on "standby", I'm bettin' they'll use this hub for both mainline and express.

Last edited:
FlyChicaga said:

Also, if it is a mainline hub... maybe CAL should consider a Frontier buyout.

It would never happen. Lot of rumors, some from very reliable sources about DEN.

FlyChicaga said:

Also, if it is a mainline hub... maybe CAL should consider a Frontier buyout.

Great idea, got a buck we can borrow. Personally I think we should have bought out Alaska. America West was an option but they had/have too many internal problems to inherit.. JMHO

I know everyone is salivating over DIA, but the last time I checked, United was still flying and is in no immediate danger of liquidating.

The last I heard was that UAL obtained signifigant financing and is considering expanding into Houston just in case CAL liquidates. Just a rumor though.

delivery100 said:
I know everyone is salivating over DIA, but the last time I checked, United was still flying and is in no immediate danger of liquidating.

The last I heard was that UAL obtained signifigant financing and is considering expanding into Houston just in case CAL liquidates. Just a rumor though.

No immediate danger of liquidating? OK. Best of luck, you're really going to need it.

P.S. I hope CAL tells the city of Denver to pound sand and eat those bonds for financing DIA.

Boeingman,

If you have actually read the papers and know the facts, UAL is doing significantly better that the covenants outlined by their DIP financing.

My point is that there are many who are praying to see the demise of UAL including CALs C*CK sucking CEO, who was on the forefront of the campaign trying to stop UAL from obtaining a loan they should have received. After all, it was 2 of United's aircraft that were used as weapons of mass destruction. But no, the government should not have co-signed for a loan to stabilize one of the airlines that was DIRECTLY affected by osama bin laden. Uh huh, right.

While the possibility of a CH 7 for UAL is sigificant, the fat lady has not sung yet, so I wouldnt plan any immediate moves to the Denver area.

delivery100 said:
Boeingman,

If you have actually read the papers and know the facts, UAL is doing significantly better that the covenants outlined by their DIP financing.

I don't bother reading the papers for financial information. with the amount of money I have tied up in the markets I stick to the newswires. I'd be willing to bet my contacts with the finacial industry go far and above the crew room gossip you're relying on about UAL. In fact, just by your posts your niavity on the situation is, well, breathtaking. But that doesn''t seem surprising. That attitude over there seems pandemic, which is a big part of the problem.

UAL is in serious trouble with their DIP financing. The first gate, although met, was the easiest. With the $382 million dollar loss for Jan. it has put the company far behind the next gates. Let's not forget those losses do not include the fact UAL is making zero aircraft lease payments and zero pre petition c11 debt obligations.

But, if things are going so well why did State Street Bank move to liquidate the outstanding shares being held? Why did UAL sell 5 744's to Thai at fire sale prices? If I had the time, I'd post a few blistering articles based on factual financial data that shows UAL is imploding financially.

delivery100 said:

My point is that there are many who are praying to see the demise of UAL including CALs C*CK sucking CEO, who was on the forefront of the campaign trying to stop UAL from obtaining a loan they should have received.

As a taxpayer I'm glad Bethune was saying what everyone wanted too, but no one had the balls to say. UAL did not deserve the loan based on the financial condition of the company. They misrepresented to the ATSB their true financial picture by about 15 million a day, they had no credible business plan to emerge from bankruptcy and they could not prove to the Government they could pay the money back. Sorry, but that is just business. You think Bethune's comments changed the true financial picture of UAL? It is about the ability to repay not what someone thinks they should get or thinks they deserve. Bethune was right, your management is still clueless and there is no viable plan. Oh I forgot, the LCC thing. That sir is a joke.

delivery100 said:

After all, it was 2 of United's aircraft that were used as weapons of mass destruction. But no, the government should not have co-signed for a loan to stabilize one of the airlines that was DIRECTLY affected by osama bin laden. Uh huh, right.

You're forgetting the Government did give UAL (and others) cash to stabilize. What happened to UAL was a terrible act of cowardice. What is disgusting is your contention that because of that, you feel you're more deserving than others and to hell with everything and everybody else.

delivery100 said:
the possibility of a CH 7 for UAL is sigificant, the fat lady has not sung yet, so I wouldnt plan any immediate moves to the Denver area.

I could care less about Denver. I also really don't care what happens one way or another to UAL. I feel for the people there, but I can vividly remember the absolute harrassment UAL employees showed towards CAL during our last BK in Denver. (I was walking a picket line for the first one).

Last edited:
delivery100 said:
Boeingman,

My point is that there are many who are praying to see the demise of UAL including CALs C*CK sucking CEO, who was on the forefront of the campaign trying to stop UAL from obtaining a loan they should have received.

UM ya thats why United was trying to Woo Bethune to be their CEO for the last how many years? His response, "why go from a winner to a loser"

Will the employees of United be able to use the Texas Pacific Group for financing and to oust Tilton now that they no longer have a controlling interest? If so, could that be the reason their ESOP was sold off so quickly?

Latest resources

Back