Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Airlines can sit back and cherry-pick its next move.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tail Gunner Joe

http://www.glgroup.com/News/Continental-Airlines-Calls-Merger-Shots-47965.html

Both US Airways and United Airlines have danced around the merger flagpole for so long, that any talk of combining with another party generates as much laughter as it does enthusiasm. Make no mistake, both of these airlines are inefficient dinosaurs who thank their existence today on Chapter 11, and not because of the people running their dilapidated businesses.

Continental Airlines doesn’t need to merge – staying solo has given them better access across the North Atlantic due to the Open Skies treaty and it remains one of the few U.S carriers generating increased passenger revenue against a softened high yield market.

US Airways has for years been a “me-too” airline – like United, both are eloquently mismanaged, have truly awful products (rubbish, in fact) in contrast to Middle East and Asian airlines and have about as much appeal in the merger stakes as AOL and Time Warner did – and we know how that vaunted merger turned out, didn’t we?

Continental Airlines is the holding all the cards here. It doesn’t “need” to merge with anyone as much as United Airlines and US Airways need to – given the latter two airlines weak financial positioning, inability to compete with more efficient low cost and intercontinental rivals means they are easy pickings for anyone adept enough to consume and remove a weaker rival.

United Airlines may look more favourable at getting a deal done somewhere, with someone, but US Airways is already on the road to this history books. Would AMR American Airlines entertain a buyout of this useless entity? Probably not.

Would anyone else?

Who is to say Continental Airlines won’t make a predatory move on US Airways if talks with United Airlines break down?

There is far less overlap between those two than if it went along with United Airlines.

Although the issue of a predominantly Boeing fleet at Continental Airlines versus a big Airbus fleet at US Airways may present a cost challenge, Continental Airlines can sit back and cherry-pick its next move.

United Airlines and US Airways will just have to hope that somewhere out there, someone will come to their rescue – if at all.

Who is to say Continental Airlines won’t make a predatory move on US Airways if talks with United Airlines break down?

There is far less overlap between those two than if it went along with United Airlines.

I love this. Anybody can come up with anything and pass it as possible. Next will be an article how delta and american are now eyeing each other. Maybe even UPS and Airtran could get together? Time will tell, we will just have to wait and see.

Wall Street estimates show a predicted profit for US Airways. Second Quarter 2010. They are not that bad off. American on the other hand....

Not to mention mentally challenged with questionable integrity.

Why is it that pilots always mention "integrity"? Who cares about that, does it pay your bills?

What does it mean anyway? I remember an instructor at ASA that had that as his email address. Maybe it was his integrity that had him flying RJs in his mid 40s....if that is integrity then I do not want any of it!!!

Integrity defines your character. You demonstrate your character, and lack of integrity about every time you post. I know you do this to get a rise out of people. I understand this, unfortunately most people can't see through your little immature game. You are like a retarded insolent child with a keyboard who has never once contributed anything useful to this forum.

In real life I'm sure you are a self-centered, ego maniacal dote.

Why is it that pilots always mention "integrity"? Who cares about that, does it pay your bills?

What does it mean anyway? I remember an instructor at ASA that had that as his email address. Maybe it was his integrity that had him flying RJs in his mid 40s....if that is integrity then I do not want any of it!!!

Didn't you claim that you were a Christian a few months back?

Examine your posts and this one in particular under the light of the Word that you are supposedly reading.

This is a pilot board. Who here REALLY can claim to have integrity? ;)

TC

Latest resources

Back