• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not the only one who would rather take my furlough than;

1. Sit reserve for the next 2 yrs
2. Give up one sentence in the current "contract"

This furlough isn't the end of the world. Most of us are on 1st year pay. I was able to find work that pays far more than my CAL pay within a week of getting my furlough notice. I'm not that worried frankly and I'm looking forward to the time away for a little while.

You are WAY messed up. Two major problems with this post:

1. You are a professional pilot at a MAJOR airline. One that flies big planes. Lots of people. You have spent years and thousands of $$$ on your education. And your response when you lose your job is, basically, "well this job is so bad and we don't make anything that it's easily replaceable doing anything in life." That's messed up.

2. You don't want to sit reserve for 2 years? Boo-hoo! Waaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

1. You are a professional pilot at a MAJOR airline. One that flies big planes. Lots of people. You have spent years and thousands of $$$ on your education. And your response when you lose your job is, basically, "well this job is so bad and we don't make anything that it's easily replaceable doing anything in life." That's messed up.

Grow up junior. You don't work for CAL so you have no idea how he feels. Remind me to have your attitude towards XJT when JR turns up the concession talk...

Grow up junior. You don't work for CAL so you have no idea how he feels. Remind me to have your attitude towards XJT when JR turns up the concession talk...

You defend whining and treating the profession as a job that pays no more than an entry-level position? Or is it that same old contempt for us "regional" people?

You defend whining and treating the profession as a job that pays no more than an entry-level position? Or is it that same old contempt for us "regional" people?

I think he's saying that you need to "walk a mile in his shoes" before making any assumptions. Many of the X-Jetters that I've spoken with have told me how X-Jet has better work rules than CAL. Keep that in mind for reference when you hear CAL pilots "whine."

As ATRCA is one of the guys being held hostage by CAL management for leverage on scope, I applaud him for standing his ground and not crying for us to give in. At least that's how I'm reading it.

WOW...You truly have NO clue! There were quite a few XJ guys in my new hire class that took a COLA just because the work rules were so bad that they would rather be unemployed than stick around on the bottom and bear the brunt. And you're right, this is major, but with the WORST work rules of any airline I have worked for. People like us at the bottom are trying to make this a major worth flying for...

Sorry guys about your jobs but during my 4 years of employment with the place there was nothing that would have kept me there for the long term. Trust me there are better places to work.

I left for one of them. So when I comment about culture, unless things have changed, and from the looks of it it hasnt..... what culture?

what culture

Bet on it. Mgmt wants this bad and will continue to come back to the union and this pilot group until it gets what it wants or completely destroys the culture that has been built here over the last 14 years.

What culture?

The culture that picks up as much 150% pay as possible with guys being furloughed?

The culture that keeps the airline more short staffed than any other?

The culture that broke the strike?

The culture that flys without rigs?

Double Shot ...

Please remove your insensitive post and aploogize to the CAL pilots.

Your remarks do not bring credit to our pilot group's reputation.

If we have the opportunity to fly with one another I will share my family's pain as we endured 5 furloughs, two stints overseas and 2 'less than stellar' corporate flight departments before SWA offered me a job.

On a related note ... you will find me of the captains who is pushing for the FO payscale to be reworked to reflect our longer upgrade times.

Turtlesfly,

Don't lose sight of what is going on.

These pilots are hostages, pure and simple. See Motch's post on what the language actually said. For the company willing to not furlough with this LOA, with a lot of management snap backs, such as the cost of fuel blah blah, yet them still have their scope, is out of line.

I'm on first year pay, and I have found jobs that pay more. While everyone here knows they will have their seniority number, to make more money, avoid B reserve, having days off rolled, etc, it's a lot easier to say 'bye' for a few months. For me, I'd gladly take B in Newark commuting; but I'm single and don't have kids. To each their own.

Trust me, I'm there and that's the way it is.

I don't know you, but I know you realize we all want the same things as pilots.

Things are not all rosey at CAL, especially on first year pay.

PSL: I think DoubleShot made his point. He has worked for CAL and left for other employment... he understands. There are a lot of people who would leave if given the chance.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back