Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ToiletDuck

Ninja
Just curious who wears contacts out there. My whole life i've had 20/20 vision but my latest optomitrist visit puts me at 20/20 left and 20/40-50 right. So I have to get contacts. I've never worn them before. I was thinking of getting these: http://www.nightandday.com/html/lens/breathable.shtml

Does anyone have first hand experiece with them. I was told that not all contacts are a like and I was kinda curious what they feel like when at 5-9k feet in an unpressurized cockpit.

ToiletDuck said:
Just curious who wears contacts out there. My whole life i've had 20/20 vision but my latest optomitrist visit puts me at 20/20 left and 20/40-50 right. So I have to get contacts. I've never worn them before. I was thinking of getting these: http://www.nightandday.com/html/lens/breathable.shtml

Does anyone have first hand experiece with them. I was told that not all contacts are a like and I was kinda curious what they feel like when at 5-9k feet in an unpressurized cockpit.

I wear accuvue 2's (the newest ones) and never had a problem with them, pressurized (in the cabin) or unpressurized. I wear them easily 12+ hours without any problems or discomfort.

night and days are awesome. i have used them.

contacts feel the same at 9k as they do at sea level, and feel the same at 100 feet below the ocean in scuba gear.

as far as not all contacts are the same.. yes and no. 20/20 or one of those shows did a story a while back on how many companies market the same product under different usages. the hired people to examine lens fluids and lenses to support their claim. in the end, b&l even admitted it. it came down to that the disposable 1 day lenses was the exact same as the 2 week or 1 month lens. they were just marketed with different instructions for lens care. there are lenses that indeed are different, like the night and days.

my non-doctor advice. get the night and day lenses, but dont wear em overnight if you dont have to. no matter how breathable the lenses are, its best to take em out to let your eyes breathe normally. i like them because you can use them like regular lenses and they let your eyes breathe better, yet if you have to wake up early and dont want to mess with them or something that day, you can always leave them in.

and my last piece of advice.. do what your doctor recommends. :)

accuviews are great...........

i also carry cheapo glasses in my flight bag incase i lose i lense. its happened before

how old are u?
your vision should not do a whole lot of changing unless you are pretty young or at presbyopia age....
i think it would be worth a trip to a good ophthalmologist as an optometrist is only good at checking acuity usually. I like an ophthalmologist to do a proper internal eye exam as well as pressure testing etc.

I wear gas permeable (hard) lenses. They are hard to take care of and cost 200 dollars a pair. I can't sleep in them. They are smaller than the colored part of my eye (iris?). They do, however act like an eye brace and can actually improve vision (slightly) with log term wear.

What did people do before glasses/contacts? Get eaten by wild animals? Run over by horses? Like Mr. Magoo.

ToiletDuck said:
And I didn't explain enough on the altitude part. I was wondering if contacts dry out super easy at higher altitudes.

this will vary from person to person, but i do not have any trouble with this either. if you do, they make nice little eyeball moisturizer drops for that.

I don't have a problem with contacts drying out at altitude. Generally, it would take longer than most of the flights you'd most likely be doing anyways. One thing you might find is that they dry out during the course of the day, then at night when you fly you'll get a halo effect around lights. When I fly at night I either make sure that I've kept my contacts moist or I wear glasses. (I hate flying with glasses, no peripheral vision)

Latest resources

Back