contact vs visual approach?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bugchaser

Anybody have a good explanation of a contact vs a visual approach. I know that the visual can be assigned by ATC and the contact must be requested.

You have answered your own question

bugchaser said:
Anybody have a good explanation of a contact vs a visual approach. I know that the visual can be assigned by ATC and the contact must be requested.
Most airline OPS SPECS do not allow and are not approved for contact approaches, but visual approaches may be accepted if offered.

Along those lines: OPS SPECS generally do not permit a visual approach unless you are within 35NM from the airport and able to maintain VMC.

"Contact Approach: An approach wherein an aircraft on an IFR flight plan, having an air traffic control authorization, operating clear of clouds with at least 1 mile visibility and a reasonable expectation of continuing to the destination airport in those conditions, may deviate from the instrument approach procedure and proceed to the destination airport by visual reference to the surface. This approach will only be authorized when requested by the pilot and the reported ground visibility at the destination airport is at least one statute mile."

'Visual Approach: An approach conducted on an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan which authorizes the pilot to proceed visually and clear of clouds. The pilot must, at all times, have either the airport or the preceding aircraft in sight. This approach must be authorized and under the control of the appropriate air traffic control facility. Reported weather at the airport must be ceiling at or above 1,000 feet and visibility of 3 miles or greater."

Pilot/Controller Glossary AIM

Last edited:
So is it generally:

Contact approach:
Must request from ATC
Clear of Clouds and 1sm minimums

Visual Approach:
May be assigned or requested
1000' and 3sm minimums
Maintain VFR and have airport or aircraft you're following in sight

Or is there more...?

When it comes to understanding the difference between a contact and a visual approach, it helps to think along the lines of special VFR when you think about the contact approach. The requirements are the same, 1 mile and clear of clouds, so they're essentially IFR special VFR approaches if you will.

Lead Sled

Here is a practical example of using a contact approach. I frequently fly, Part 135, into an airport that is often covered by a vrey low layer of fog. The tower is closed at night and it is serviced by an ASOS for weather reporting. It's not uncommon to hear 1/4 mile visibility and vertical visibilties of 100. However, it's also not uncommon to be able to see the airport and runway from more than 20 miles away. On a normal night the visibility will fluctuate minute by minute up and down from a 1/4 mile up to 5 miles or more. The airport is serviced by an ILS requireing the standard 1/2 mile visibility and a backcourse approach requiring 1 1/4 mile. Since we fly under part 135 we cannot even begin an approach unless the visibility is at or above the published minimums. Commonly, because of the direction we arrive from the back course is the preferred approach (1 1/4 mile req'd). So when the visibilty is jocking back and fourth like it does, instead of coming all the way around to the north for the ILS, we'll just wait for the visibilty to come up to a mile and request the contact approach. We have the 1 mile visibilty, have the airport in sight, are clear of the clouds (typically there aren't any), and have reasonable expectations of reaching the airport under these conditions.

It works out pretty well, hope it helps with your understanding.

Aspen is a great place for contact approaches if you are familiar with the area. It will get you low enough to be in a position to land. If you do the approach and get to the MAP you will usually be out of position and to high since it is a one way airport. Thats what we did at Air Willy in the 146 about 8 years ago. They are probably still doing them.

Cheers,
Marty

A different explanation

Contact means you have visual contact with landmarks or whatever else you need to navigate. I.e; I'm at the light house, head east until you see the big hangar, turn south until McDonald's turn west and then you are on final. You probably will not see the airport until that point if the vis is at 1 mile.

The Cape Air guys up north do a great job of this in the low vis conditions up in Cape Cod during the summer. Of course you have to be really familiar with the area and the obstructions.

Visual is you see the airport or the traffic to follow and hope he is going to the right runway/airport. You provide your own wake turbulence seperation.

A few other bits of trivia;

In order for a controller to initiate a vector for a visual approach, the reported ceiling must be 500' above the MVA (minimum vectoring altitude). Which means that an airport ATIS may be advertising ILS approaches, but if the pilot gets the airport in sight, and has the required cloud clearance, and the reported WX is at least 1000 x 3, then the pilot can still ask for a visual approach. Doesn't mean you'll get it, (traffic conflicts, get in line...), but you can ask.

If you hear a statement on ATIS to the effect "Simultaneous Visual Approaches in use", that should clue you in that there may be other aircraft on an adjacent, or convirging final. What's more, you may not be separated from said aircraft by anything close to three miles. You may be less than ONE mile apart. Don't be overshooting the final on a visual approach by much unless you check with the controller first. I will attempt to call out traffic on the parallel final when I have time, but I'm not required to. In case anyone thinks I should always have time, you should sit on finals with me when there's a game at the stadium about 2 miles from the LOM.

"Traffic one o'clock, two to four miles, one medivac copter, one police copter, two banner tows, one traffic watch cessna and only God knows what else. Altitudes vary from 1200' to 2200'. Additionally, traffic eleven o'clock, two miles, Delta Boeing 737 turning final to the parallel, and eight o'clock two miles a Southwest 737 doing the same. Traffic you're following is a DHL 757 five miles ahead, caution wake turbulence."

Repeat that in a coherent fashion about fifty times while also giving vectors and some speed control etc.

Also, regarding contact approaches, there has to be a standard or special instrument approach procedure, published and functioning for the airport of intended landing.

See more at:

http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/ATC/Chp7/atc0704.html#7-4-2

Latest resources

Back