contact approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quoted from the Pilot/Controller Glossary:

"An approach in which an aircraft on an IFR flight plan, having an ATC authorization, operationg CLEAR OF CLOUDS, with at least 1SM FLIGHT VISIBILITY, and a reasonable expectation of continuing to the destination airport in those conditions, may deviate from the IAP and proceed to the destination airport by visual reference to the surface. This approach will only be authorized WHEN REUEST BY THE PILOT, and the reported GROUND VISIBILTY at the destination airport is atleast 1SM."

groundpointsix said:
Can someone explain to me why we would want to do a contact approach? I had a student ask me the other day and I couldn't come up with a good reason. The only semi-reasonable answer I could come up with was if you had an approach with unusually high minimums. Even then it didn't seem like a good idea to me as the minimums are probably that high for a reason.

Here's an example of when it's useful: Beautiful clear day , you can see the airport from 20 miles out.... except there's a low layer sneaking in from the bay. Official weather is 005 broken, but it's just covering about a 1 /3 of the field, the rest of the airport, including approach end and touchdown zone of the runway in use is in the sunshine. You can't get a visual, because the Wx is below basic VFR, but getting a contact approach will get you around flying a full procedure in bluebird clear conditions all the way to touchdown, never coming close to a cloud.

Another example: Ground blizzard on a clear day. Reported vis is 1-1/2, yet you can see the airport from a long way away. It's just blowing snow, which is generally only 100 ft thick or so, but it does reduce visibility. Again, why fly a full procedure in clear blue skies? Once you get down in it, the visibility goes to he11, and that's certainly something to consider, but that all happens below MDA, regardless of whether you got to that point by following an IAP or just flying a normal traffic pattern.

THe contact approach is a tool, and just like any other tool, you can use it to help you get the job done efficiently, or you can use it to chop off fingers. It depends on how you use it.

Last edited:
AxA,

Sounds like your ops specs allowed you to make contact approaches...ours specifically prohibited it.

bafanguy said:
AxA,

Sounds like your ops specs allowed you to make contact approaches...ours specifically prohibited it.

Yeah, they do. They could probably be best described as "enough rope..."

Another good situation to use the Contact Approach is when the clouds are just at the lowest altitude that approach will allow you to descend. You are breaking in and out of the clouds but they will not let you lower. I have just asked for a contact approach when you are clear of the clouds with the mile or greater of vis and descended 500 feet and was clear and a million. Fly straight to the airport and land. Of course, others have made it clear that you better be familiar with the surrounding terrain around the airport and I agree with that.

Also in Canada I have heard several times guys asking for and doing contact approaches when the weather was skunky. Of course those guys fly into the same airport ten thousand times a day.

A Squared said:
Yeah, they do. They could probably be best described as "enough rope..."

...lol...I hear ya !!

Best example of contact approach

The weather at the field is less than 1000-3 (therefore ATC can not issue a visual approach). You do not want to fly the full procedure. For instance you have the airport in sight and you are on a wide down wind. The vis is 2 miles. You say "airport in sight requesting contact approach" "cleared contact approach contact tower..." I think intimate knowledge of the airport and surroundings is a must otherwise, fly the procedure.

I've done them when there was some night ground fog only about 20-30' thick. Could see the runway lights from 5 miles away on downwind for the Loc, but surface vis was only a mile or a bit more. As others said, probably not wise unless you know the airport/area well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back