Contact appraoch

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilothouston123

Yes, we have too much time on our hands...
We are debating if its leagal to request a contact apporach into an uncontrolled field. I am aware of the restrictions requiring an instrument approach to that field. One thing I saw in the aim says spereation is provided until you contact tower. another says until you switch to advisories, whats the deal?

I know its not safe to do but is it leagl?

I didn't make myself clear. In my opinion doing a contact approach into an uncontrolled field is unsafe. Low to the ground, low cieling/viz and no one watching over you to be sure you get into the airport.

Really, my question is: Is it leagal to request a contact approach into an uncontrolled field?

Yes it is legal... The only regulatory factor is the 1 mile vis and clear of clouds.

I did them all the time flying a small cessna into my home airport in which I knew the surroundings very well.

Controllers think of Contact approaches like visual approaches. They still have to hold inbound/outbound traffic from that airport until you cancel IFR and you are responsable for your terrain/traffic avoidance (with VFR scud runners)... most controllers find it easier im sure than vectoring you to a final approach course.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back