• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Contact appraoch

pilothouston123

Total Time
>7,000
Yes, we have too much time on our hands...
We are debating if its leagal to request a contact apporach into an uncontrolled field. I am aware of the restrictions requiring an instrument approach to that field. One thing I saw in the aim says spereation is provided until you contact tower. another says until you switch to advisories, whats the deal?

I know its not safe to do but is it leagl?

pilothouston123

Total Time
>7,000
I didn't make myself clear. In my opinion doing a contact approach into an uncontrolled field is unsafe. Low to the ground, low cieling/viz and no one watching over you to be sure you get into the airport.

Really, my question is: Is it leagal to request a contact approach into an uncontrolled field?

NCherches

Total Time
5000+
Yes it is legal... The only regulatory factor is the 1 mile vis and clear of clouds.

I did them all the time flying a small cessna into my home airport in which I knew the surroundings very well.

Controllers think of Contact approaches like visual approaches. They still have to hold inbound/outbound traffic from that airport until you cancel IFR and you are responsable for your terrain/traffic avoidance (with VFR scud runners)... most controllers find it easier im sure than vectoring you to a final approach course.

Last edited:

pilothouston123

Total Time
>7,000
Thanks! I agree