• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AdlerDriver

Can't even hold reserve!
Hey Folks,
I'm looking for various opinions/personal experience regarding consolidation requirements (FAR 121.434).

If you already have a type rating and more than 100 hours (more like 1000 hours) of part 121 operating experience as SIC in an aircraft type - do you have to repeat the 100 hours consolidation after getting checked out in the same aircraft again at a new airline? This question is based on not maintaining qualification in the aircraft during the transition between the previous and new airline (i.e. spent some time on the panel before coming back to the MD-11).
Reading the FAR, apparently there is something special about the date Aug 25, 1995. It says you don't have to consolidate if you flew the aircraft prior to that. I did not. If you flew it after that date, it never really says you have to REPEAT consolidation if you're on your second "tour" of the aircraft. All it says is you have to have 100 hours of 121 operating experience in 120 days of your type rating or INITIAL proficiency check. It would seem like a previously qualified pilot with a type rating would not be considered completing an INITIAL PC his second time around.
Anyone got some experience with this?
Thanks.

It depends on your new company's (and their POI's) interpretation of the reg.

Answer should be NO, you don't have to repeat IF you have the training and flight records from your old company to back up your completed claim.

Your mileage may vary, but I just got a pass on this very item.

As far as initial vs transition, that is company specific. I just did initial PIC on the bus for the second time. New company was the reason. Full 25 hrs IOE and a fed ride, but no 100 hr in 120 day requirement as my old records were accepted by the POI.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
120 days starts from sim check (PC) completion. Can be extended once to 150 days. After that, another PC to restart the clock, but you get credit for hours flown before the PC retake.

Do you happen to have the reg reference as to where it can be extended to 150 days???

Also, are you guys allowed to count pt 91 legs towards your consolidation requirement? We are not...

121.434 (G) for the 100 hrs in 120 days.
121.434 (H) 4 for the extension.

I think somewhere in all the doublespeak it specifies "operations under this part" so 91 ops don't count. Sorry, I can't give a specific reference on that last point, my eyes glaze over after reading FARs for more than a few seconds :)

Great, thanks guys... I got snagged by this a couple of weeks ago and that extension would have fit nicely into my schedule...

Latest resources

Back