• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Conquest,Caravan,PC-12,King Air?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
like was mentioned, if you need to do 8 pax, you can buy a decent used B200 for just under a million, theres one for sale right now in novato :)

Grumman guy said:
I need some help...Any and all input would be greatly appreciated
Why don't you get the Caravan, then hire me to be your F.O. I could really use a break from having to push those buttons and move those levers. I can just work the radio, maybe hold a chart for you now and then. Dusting cracker and doughnut crumbs off the seats after we land would be my job and I can tidy up those seatbelts real good!

Hahaha...just kidding. I like all the planes you are having to choose from and have served as an FO in a few of the models. I don't have any C-90 time, but I really liked the F-90 King Air that I got a few hours in. The conquest was fun and fast and as noisy as the B-100 I did a lot of FO trips in.

I don't know, sounds like a delema you got there...good luck! You know I'm partial to the van, but I hope you guys get the plane that serves you and your company the best.

Grumman,

Just my two cents but since you asked... IF you are comfortable with a single engine, go for the PC-12. You just can't beat the combination of efficiency, performance, and comfort. Honestly, I think the reliability is more than good enough to go this route. If you decide you must have a twin, I'd probably have to go with the KingAir... C, E, or F-90 or B-200. I've flown most of the KingAir series as well as both the Conquests and, at least for your mission, I think the KingAirs are the way to go. A 441, especially with the -10 conversion, will rock 'n roll but you're not likely to see much advantage on your flights. The Beech products are nicer to fly and nicer for the passengers. Good luck on your decision... it's a good problem to have!

cc

I fly for a company that has 3 PC-12's for Charter. In fact, I'm in Scottsdale, AZ right now for training. The passengers love them, they'll keep up with a B-200 in performance and out perform it on takeoff and landing.

As far as engine failures, even if it does occur, you can glide a LONG way. They handle ice really well. The ones I fly all have Garmin stacks, so IFR flights are cake. The fuel flows are also very appealing. Down below 10,000 plan on 500 PPH. Up in the 230-250 altitudes, you're looking at 350 PPH. The plane was designed for the owner-pilot who's stepping up from a Bonanza or Malibu. It's an easy plane to fly and operate.

From a comfort standpoint, there's a lot of room in the PC-12. One feature I like is that for me to get in, I don't have to crawl over the passengers since the door is forward of the passenger seats and aft of the pilot seats.

You can't seat 8 in it (unless you're one of the 8) in the typical executive seating configuration. You can get it set up so that there are 3 seats across the very back row and that would give you 8 passenger seats.

The huge cargo door rocks. You can fit just about anything in it. It also prevents you from having to carry baggage through the seating areas to the baggage compartment.

You know, over the years just looking at the B200 and C441, why do people go with the 441? I would think that the main reason is because a previous company airplane would be a 421, and it's just an easy step/transition?? but that's just my guess... anybody else?

I used to fly a Cessna 414 for my outfit and when we looked at turboprops, my boss wanted a Conquest also, figuring it was an "easy step up". I talked him out of it because we also sometimes fly up to 8 pax..... you ain't getting 8 pax comfortably into a Conquest. There's a reason why there was around 600 or so Conquests made, and it's no longer in production........ vs. 6000 King Airs. If you want a twin turboprop, for $2million you could probably get a real nice early 1990's B200, and it'd have the room for 8 pax (the King Air 90's do not).

We also looked at the PC12, but ultimately rejected it because we did not want to be a glider if we lost one engine. But I'd definitely pick the PC12 over the Caravan for the speed and the huge cabin, if I was seriously considering a single.

Training: Where will you have to go to find a FlightSafety or SimCom or Simuflight training program for the aircraft you choose? Something to consider. (FSI has a King Air 200 program in Long Beach; I think you'd have to travel to Wichita for the Conquest. Would you rather spend a week in Southern California or in Wichita?)

BTW, the King Air B200 was a piece of cake "step-up" from the 414 I flew before it. I thought it flew/handled a lot like the Beech 18's I flew a long time ago. After FlightSafety B200 Initial training and about 4 or 5 hours in the actual airplane (two flights), I was perfectly comfortable in it. The biggest challenge was figuring out the FMS; that took about two more flights of button pushing, and playing around with it, and now I wonder how I could ever fly anything without one.

The C-441 is faster and has more range than the B-200. The Cessna out performs the B-200. Which would I prefer to operate every day? I think most people know that the B-200 is the best aircraft for this mission.

HEADWIND

Did I read somewhere that you can get a twin-engine PC-12? I assume it would be similar to a Dual-Pack Caravan. Anyone know anything about that option in a PC-12?

Then again, I could be way off...;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back