Congress and Laptops

densoo

Total Time
yes
Seems that Congress has been "surprised" a lot lately.
By Joan Lowy, Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON — Lawmakers are moving to ban the use of computer laptops and other personal electronic devices in airline cockpits to prevent another incident like the Northwest Airlines plane that overshot Minneapolis by 150 miles.
Sen. Byron Dorgan, chairman of the aviation subcommittee, said in an interview that his staff is working on a bill that he expects to introduce in about a week. He said he was surprised to learn after the Oct. 21 incident that the Federal Aviation Administration doesn't specifically prohibit pilots from using laptops, DVD players, MP3 players and other devices during flight except below 10,000 feet while the plane is taking off or landing.
The two pilots of Northwest Flight 188 told National Transportation Safety Board investigators that they didn't notice repeated attempts by air traffic controllers and airline dispatchers to contact them because they were working on a new crew scheduling program on their laptops. The plane carrying 144 passengers was out of communication with anyone on the ground for 91 minutes, prompting the military to ready fighter jets for launch and the White House situation room to alert senior White House officials.
The plane zoomed past its Minneapolis destination before the pilots were alerted to their situation by a flight attendant. By that time, the plane over Wisconsin.
"We now understand from this flight at least that this can happen and there ought to be a more clear understanding by everyone in the cockpit that there is a national standard that would prohibit this and that they need to take it seriously," said Dorgan, D-N.D.
Delta Air Lines, which acquired Northwest last year, has a policy prohibiting the use of personal laptops by pilots during flight. The airline has suspended the two pilots — Timothy Cheney of Gig Harbor, Wash., the captain, and Richard Cole of Salem, Ore., the first officer — pending an investigation. The FAA has revoked the pilots' licenses, and the NTSB is investigating the cause of the incident.
Dorgan said he expects his proposal to eventually be wrapped into a larger aviation bill pending before the Senate. He also said he doesn't anticipate any opposition to the measure.
Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., has also said he wants to introduce legislation to prohibit pilots from using laptops and other personal devices during flight, and several other senators expressed support for a ban at a hearing last week.
Dorgan said his bill will make an exception for "electronic flight bags" — laptops containing navigational tools issued to pilots by some airlines.

waterski

E90 335i
Total Time
7500+
Ok....

tzskipper

Total Time
Open question to all; I wrote my Senator, did you?

Fraternally,

Skipper

ultrarunner

Total Time
I can't wait until CVR data is released showing a frigging 90 minute frigging NAP.

I sent a note to Dorgan and my own senator.

Last edited:

chqflyer

Total Time
There's a link on another thread that has a photo of two Senators playing solitaire on there computers while a bill is being debated. I think THAT should be the lead in news story. Do as I say not as I do!:erm:

Kugelblitz

Total Time
13K+
Then using their logic, we should revoke all the driver's licenses from Senators and Representatives and Congress people.

The record is clear, going back to T. Kennedy and Chapaquidick to the present, there have been mutiple times when our elected politicians have been caught driving while intoxicated and sometimes people get killed. Using the logic that they are using regarding laptops, when one Senator does it we can safely assume they will all do it.

Since we can't regulate alcohol nearly as easily as obtain one's driver's license our course of action is clear, no Senator should be allowed to drive a car nor have any driving privileges while in office.

It is all about public safety you know, not courting voters. They took away the cell phones from the train engineers didn't they (after the S. California crash)? Or did they?

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
Total Time
14000+
Sure glad we elected all these "pro labor", "airline pilot friendly" Democrats:rolleyes:....More crap from Washington DC...

crj567

Congress got a bit of a surprise last night!!!!!!!!!!!

"Yes We Can!!!"

-Eat it Barak!!
(Man-I sure think we will see some "change we can believe in" about a year from now!)

banger

Total Time
Thanks for the link. Just fired off an email to my Reps!

mamba20

Do what now?
Total Time
Too bad our elected officals don't even read their own emails. You guys are wasting your time with this. They don't listen and they don't care. Now if your a lobbiest or part of a special interest group they would listen.

Jetjockey

Stay thirsty my friends
Total Time
18K+
They are all hypocrites! Every last one of them.

Mike man

Funk Master Flex
Total Time
5000+
"Mark Twain once said Congress may be America's only 'distinct criminal class' -- and this new study suggests he was correct," said Steve Dasbach, the party's national director. "If even half these charges are true, expecting Congress to serve as a moral
role model is like asking Bill Clinton to serve as a poster boy for monogamy."

According to an investigation by Capitol Hill Blue, an online publication that covers federal politics, a remarkable number of U.S.
Representatives and U.S. Senators may have spent as much time in a jail cell as on Capitol Hill.

After researching public records, newspaper articles, civil court transcripts, and criminal records, Capitol Hill Blue discovered that:

* 29 members of Congress have been accused of spousal abuse.

* 7 have been arrested for fraud.

* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks.

* 117 have bankrupted at least two businesses.

* 3 have been arrested for assault.

* 71 have credit reports so bad they can't qualify for a
credit card.

* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges.

* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting.

* 21 are current defendants in lawsuits.

* And in 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving, but released after they claimed Congressional immunity.

PurpleInMEM

Solipsist
Total Time
>1
Wtfc

...According to an investigation by Capitol Hill Blue, an online publication that covers federal politics, a remarkable number of U.S. Representatives and U.S. Senators may have spent as much time in a jail cell as on Capitol Hill.

After researching public records, newspaper articles, civil court transcripts, and criminal records, Capitol Hill Blue discovered that:

* And in 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving, but released after they claimed Congressional immunity.
So they accurately represent the actions/behaviour of the populace as a whole. Where's the problem? Last I checked, they are humanoid-ish. :rolleyes:

Oh, and as far as any "laptop law"...good luck enforcing it. Laws are only laws if the peasants follow them. This will be as effective as highway speed limits or oxygen mask rules.

PA31Driver

Total Time
6000+
You guys are wasting your time with this. They don't listen and they don't care. Now if your a lobbiest or part of a special interest group they would listen.
We are part of a Special Interest Group...ALPA. They'll listen to us. :D

(That's sarcasm by the way)

Phrogs4ever

Total Time
10000+
"Mark Twain once said Congress may be America's only 'distinct criminal class' -- and this new study suggests he was correct," said Steve Dasbach, the party's national director. "If even half these charges are true, expecting Congress to serve as a moral
role model is like asking Bill Clinton to serve as a poster boy for monogamy."

According to an investigation by Capitol Hill Blue, an online publication that covers federal politics, a remarkable number of U.S.
Representatives and U.S. Senators may have spent as much time in a jail cell as on Capitol Hill.

* 7 have been arrested for fraud.

* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks.

* 117 have bankrupted at least two businesses.

* 3 have been arrested for assault.

* 71 have credit reports so bad they can't qualify for a
credit card.

* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges.

* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting.

* 21 are current defendants in lawsuits.

Interesting stats. Got a link? I couldn't find the reference on capitolhillblue.com.

Fubijaakr

Seniority is Forever
Total Time
Enough
I can't wait until CVR data is released showing a frigging 90 minute frigging NAP.
Unfortunately, they had a 30 minute loop. The CVR won't tell anything.