Confirm you have ATIS...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hydroflyer

Now, I know I'm not the only one to experience this, but how many times do any of you have to say you have the ATIS before the controller catches on. This isn't meant to be a complaint or anything, I just find it funny how it is usually twice when checking in on a frequency, and earlier this week, it took 3 times for ground to confirm I had the ATIS! He even asked me to confirm again 30 seconds after he asked the first time. Personally I find it kind of funny, especially to hear the replies some pilots have in the air. And to think that pilots get yelled at by controllers for not listening... Anyone have any good stories about this?

It is called CYA. After the US AIR crash at LGA, (one example) it was found that the controllers did not ask for, nor did the pilots call the current ATIS. (not that it would have even made a difference) Now at LGA, we routinely are asked to confirm we have the current ATIS. There may be 30 airplanes in line to take off, and ground will go down the line and ask every one to confirm they have the current ATIS. What a waste of breath.
Here is my general life rule on asking why things are the way they are.........The answer to any corporate culture question comes down to 2 possible reasons.....1)economics or 2)legality.

ATIS

They want to know if you have the current one,just say on frist call information Bravo. Leave that out and they will call again. Mobs

I've noticed for a long time that some, not all, controllers will ask twice for ATIS confirmation. For example:

Pilot: XYZ ground, N12345 IFR ABC, ATIS Information Bravo.

Controller: N12345, Cleared As filed, Squawk 1111, Veryify information Bravo.

Personally, I think as you check on, they hear "IFR" or Clearance and the brain switches gears to looking for your clearance. I've taken human factors classes and it's amazing what the brain will comprehend, especially in an environment of repitition. How many times will a controller hear "we have ATIS xxxxx" during a given shift? I think, IMHO, that it's their way of confirming they did hear it (yes, the CYA syndrom). It also seems to depend on current workload. As I'm sure you've noticed, in todays ATC environment a controller may be working more than one sector, or more than one local position. At my airport it's not uncommon for morning and evening shifts to be one person working ground, local and approach/departure.

Regards,
2000Flyer

Chinese Program

Overheard in Sanford (Comair Academy) when they the Chinese Program was in full gear...

Chinese Pvt student: "Awwh....Sanford Tower, N2103K is 10 miles west landing."

Tower: "N2103K enter class C/D? and verify you have HOTEL" (the info).

Chinese student: "Pause.....aww....No, I have apartment in Sanford!!!"

And also:

ATC (annoied with chinese student)..."N2103k, WHAT ARE YOUR INTENTIONS!"

Student "Aww, I want to become airine pirate!" (Airline Pilot, but it sounded like Airine Pirate!!!

Sorry if this offends anyone, but it was so **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** funny when I heard this over the air!!!

I agree about controllers having enormous workloads at times, and I find it amazing how much they can handle. Not surprisingly some get cranky, however I know of two in the southeast who are fun to listen to, one works Atlanta approach and the other Tampa approach. They sound like the same person and really annunciate each syllable of each word. Both finish with "Good day to ya!" Perhaps some Flight Express guys might know who I am talking about. I think the guy in Tampa is named Bill. You can't help but crack a smile every time you hear him, no matter how busy, he always seems in a good mood.

There is also this guy in CLT who sounds like a cross between a singer and an auctioneer. He never gets flustered, and I cant help but laugh every time I hear him.

Latest resources

Back