Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
May 2022 was my first condition inspection on my CubCrafters Carbon Cub FX-3 which I did at the Raleigh CubCrafters "service center." It was an owner assisted inspection. After this inspection I applied for and got my Repairman certificate which was not hard to do with my local FSDO, all done remote (over Zoom) etc. The FX-3 Aircraft Maintenance Manual (AMM) has a nice checklist which I printed out and took with me.

This year I'm doing the inspection on my own and likely with the help of my A&P hangar neighbor as this is the first time I'll be performing compression tests with the tester I got from Aircraft Spruce. I'm studying up on the CFR's and other articles of interest which I'll share as I find anything of interest. It has been a good study thus far.

Yearly Condition Inspection, Part I - KITPLANES

I'd love to hear more from others - do you do your own condition inspections (for EAB builders) or do you have someone else do it? What is your history of findings?

I think I might try that next year, would be nice to have repairman certificate. Taking my plane to Waukesha Wisconsin next week, weather permitting, Cubcrafters service center. Really bad flying weather here lately.

While I know CC frowns upon getting the repairman cert, or at least they did two years ago, I got mine two years ago and for the new plane. I recommend getting it, not hard, and good to have. Doesn't mean you have to exercise the privileges but if you have the right to it, get it IMHO.

I agree totally, plus it's a good mental exercise. The brain is like a muscle, if you don't use it, it withers away - call me a muscle head!

Or just register under the Canadian system where all owners have the right to sign off on almost all maintenance not just the builder as long as the maintenance is performed to the same standards. This just means that the owner needs to have access to all the correct test equipment and training on how to use it before the owner can sign off on everything.

So it appears that once I make friends with a maintenance shop to access the required equipment and watch over how it is done correctly, I will be able to do the tasks myself...

Latest resources

Back