Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comparing hiring practices--Who is doing it right?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AlbieF15 said:
Next question--how many of these guys do you think pick up extra trips? Dip into open time and grab a trip here or there at straight pay? They may do it sometimes, but more than likely they are tackling a problem on their other job during their time off. In the case of some, they will drop trips to go do more lucrative work than fly jets (hard to imagine, isn't it?)

So...you may or may not want to FLY with these guys, but how does a company like JetBlue (where you get 1.5 rate for hours over 70 hours) or SWA (extra trips picked up pay year 2 pay) or FedEX (if we call YOU for a trip its 1.5 x pay rate) view employee productivity?
Nice one!

Last edited:
canyonblue737 said:
i don't think so. i believe if any 1 person during the interview "downs you" you can still get hired provided the rest think you did well and you have good LORs. after all the decision board has to come to a "decision" and that means they aren't only hiring the folks who had all 4 pilots and 1 PD person give you a thumbs up.

Thats not exactly true. It may be possible but extremely unlikely that you would get hired if one person said no. The process works in such a way that it would not be presented to the board in that way. It can happen, but again, very very unlikely.

The person representing the People Department (SWA's Human Resources) is part of an entire evaluation, but generally speaking, not and individual thumbs up or down.

FedEx says the meet and greets are back on....but you can only get one if you have not just a sponsor but one or more well connected sponsors.

Its good for the company, for sure, but how do you young pilots feel about it? C'mon, be honest, this is an anonymous forum. Sure the cost to play is cheap, $50 plus travel and expenses to Memphis x2, but with the odds going the way of Powerball, is it better than the other carriers???

Last edited:
I liked the fact that Air Tran gives you a chance to present yourself and resume in person at a job fair. Many folks (including myself) have gotten interviews this way without knowing someone on the inside. I view this as giving folks a fair chance at securing an interview based on who they are, not who they happen to know.

FedEx/UPS: Good ol' boy network in the extreme. Whether or not I know someone there has no bearing on whether I'm qualified and meet the experience requirements to get an interview. There is a huge difference between a LOR to recommend you during the interview and 3 LORs, a sponsor and a 'informal' meeting with the CP just to get an interview. The thing that kills me about the requirement to 'know' someone at these carriers is that it's a sham. The intent is probably to interview only folks that they have a pretty good idea of what they are getting. What it has turned into is my brother's girlfriend's aunt's babysitter's stepmom lives next to a woman whose father is a FedEx pilot. Good to go! What a crock.

SWA/AirTran/jetBlue: Once you meet their arbitrary minimums the interview is basically a relaxed conversation with a couple of employees. They already know you are qualified and they just want to get to know you. TMAAT is a much better way to evaluate an established professional aviator than seeing if he/ she can regurgitate some meaningless bit of FAR trivia. SWA just needs to get rid of that ridiculous type requirement. I know, I know. It's not 'required' anymore. Wink, wink.

Any of these companies can do whatever they want and use whatever criteria they want. It's a free country, but the original post asked for comments on what worked and doesn't work. All of these companies are hiring good people. I just think some of the requirements are not necessary and probably eliminate some awfully good candidates for no valid reason. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Good point Caveman. This is a messy subject. I know those who were turned down by SWA and picked up by FedEx. I also know those who wanted to be at FedEx but couldn't get an interview and ended up at SWA or UPS.

If some of the best pilots can't even get an interview at FedEx then, by definition, they aren't screening for the best. They are screening for good enough if you know the right people. Not saying that is bad, just is. I also know some of the best only apply to UPS and/or FedEx so not all the best even consider SWA, Airtran or JetBlue. And vice versa.

It appears low cost is best for the company as long as safety is not an issue, and it looks like it isn't.

So, for saving company funds on folks leaving for greener pastures, FedEx may have the lead on hiring. But SWA has a shorter training syllabus and they don't switch airplanes like FedEx folks do. There is no need for special move packages and man hours spent figuring out if new hires can go to certain airframes.

Is it cheaper to interview all qualified candidates to get the best who apply (and lose a few to other jobs) or hire only the secret handshake, ultra loyal types? I'm betting the interview all qualified option and fewer training cycles is the cheaper option. But I have no data to support it...yet.

But I did start this thing with which one is doing it right. Perhaps a poor choice of words. There seems to be no right answer. We all like to think our pilot group is the best and that would seem to be the right answer, but I think cheap and very safe is management's right answer.

Last edited:
In my opinion, I feel that the Hooters restaurant chain has the best hiring practice. Their wait staff has a very professional demeanor that is unprecedented.

Latest resources

Back