Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Company Tactics for Busting Union Drives...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
it's relevant, and he answered. His position is that the company ain't what it used to be, and I'm guessing his feelings about our needing a union have evolved over the time he's been here.

why do you care, anyway? I was asking him, not you. It's relevant to me, I asked, he answered, I appreciate it.

I asked because he posts some things that are just cut and pasted from our internal boards, some of which are from a dude who has only been here for like a year and a half. Who knows, maybe he is the same dude? I'll take him at his word that he is not, and that he has 10+ years in.

Sorry, I might have misunderstood you. I just personally feel that it doesn't matter that a person wants to unionize now even though he came to a non union place knowingly at some point in the past.

If we are talking tactics, I love how ALPA comes to the training hotel and gives hamburgers and lineards to the new hires telling the poor pilots that came from flight instructing that a union is important in order to become a real pilot. Nice. I hear that is how a gypsy lures a child into his buggy....with candy. "Come here kiddie kiddie. Want something tasty?"

If indeed they were 'telling the poor pilots' "that a union is important in order to become a real pilot" then that was not useful. But there is something to be said for letting people know what its like once SJS wears off. And there is nothing inherently wrong with going to the training hotel to tell 'the poor pilots' what ALPA has to offer.

Beware of the UAW syndrome. UAW membership 1074 1.2M, 400K 2007. Wages at UAW plants now below non-union auto makers. I am a union realist. I am ex-union ALPA and Teamsters, both companies Transamerica and Zantop out of business. I have seen what unions can do and what they can not do. Unions are why we have many of he working rules at union and non-union airlines. At profitable companies, NJ and UPS, FedEx unions can ensure that management shares with its employees. At marginal companies unions can not make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear. Whenever I see the, militant union talk on this board I go back to my union companies that went out of business and inject a note caution.

Irrelevant! What if his purpose was to unionize the place? In any case, whats wrong with someone trying to make the place better than it is when he/she was hired there?
hello,
Skyturd is irrelevant, he is a taker, out for only himself.
PBR

All this ranting and raving about ALPA is getting old. It will be a sad day next week when ALPA can only muster 40% of the vote at SKYW. Damn this gnashing of the teeth is getting old. Only a week left and its over Thank God!!!

If we are talking tactics, I love how ALPA comes to the training hotel and gives hamburgers and lineards to the new hires telling the poor pilots that came from flight instructing that a union is important in order to become a real pilot. Nice. I hear that is how a gypsy lures a child into his buggy....with candy. "Come here kiddie kiddie. Want something tasty?"

Are you inferring that the new hires are so dumb as to be "lured in" by these tactics? Sign a union card just because you got a free hamburger? Or just maybe, they either planned to come anyhow, or just came for the food and left? Attention new hire SkyWest pilots... this is what your SAPA and management sympathizers think of you. And you should vote with them... why?

All this ranting and raving about ALPA is getting old. It will be a sad day next week when ALPA can only muster 40% of the vote at SKYW. Damn this gnashing of the teeth is getting old. Only a week left and its over Thank God!!!

*YAWN*

Can you gaze into your crystal ball and tell me what next week's lottery numbers are too, oh wise sage?

No I'm not that good but exit pulling isn't looking to good. Pilots at SKYW just aren't convinced ALPA is the great savior. The bottom line is SKYW has its problems which can only be fixed with a socket but ALPA is a wrench. Its just not the solution for the problems their. This in my opinion is what I hear from the pilots at SKYW. I am so sure of my polling data I put $100 bucks on ALPA coming away dissapointed. Just being realistic.

Why can't all of you anti-ALPA folks understand that ALPA will be what you make of it. You will elect the people who work for you. If you have such a strong pilot group, it will be a strong union. At least ALPA has a good foundation of resources to work with.

For all that have been disappointed with ALPA in the past years, understand that these were in times of economic hardship in the industry. Companies used bankruptcy laws and threats to achieve goals. People were afraid for thier jobs and careers, and most of these concessionary contracts were voted in by a majority. The times are changing, record profits and load factors. Almost everyone is turning a profit. It's time to get back what you gave up. Having a union will provide you the tool to do so. I can really see union companies gaining back more than non-union companies. I cannot stress that if you have any confidence in your pilot group, then get a union on property and start reaping the rewards.

hello,
Skyturd is irrelevant, he is a taker, out for only himself.
PBR

Geez, I little harsh. I don't know him/her, so I can't comment one way or the other on that. But, regardless, it doesn't have to mean that he/she will NOT vote for ALPA...yet.

Latest resources

Back