commuting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Plainsman

Would you go ahead and take an offered class date for Republic and have to commute to work or wait on a class date at ASA with no commute? Thanks for any help guys and gals.

If you were hired at both, i'd wait for the class at ASA and try to delay the class at Republic and use them as a backup in case ASA falls through.

Where are you commuting from?

If you take a job on planning not to commute it might not work out that way just a reminder.

In the everchanging regional world be live in your only few safe bets are carriers like Expressjet, and eagle. They do not face as much competition from contract regionals like republic that shift assets to where the market and airlines need them. But Republic has a lot of bases all over the east coast and midwest you might not get on right away but sooner than you might think.

D

I have commuted before and I will never do it again (that is assuming I ever get recalled). It is expensive, time consuming and very stressful. I highly advise you to avoid commuting at all costs.

The one thing great about being based at home is well, guess where you will be when you do reserve. Probably out playing golf or fishing =) Try to do what Viper said delay the other class just in case.

I just finished training at ASA, on my first overnight today actually. ASA is a good place, Im happy I picked it, even with everything thats going on with Delta. As for commuting, I tried to commute from Nashville TN to ATL during training, Im moving to ATL next weekend if that tells you anything. I always got on a flight and made it there on time but at best it adds another half day to the beginning and end of your work week. Its just not for me.

viper548 said:
If you were hired at both, i'd wait for the class at ASA and try to delay the class at Republic and use them as a backup in case ASA falls through.

I agree totally. Don't commute if you don't have to!

Commuting is nothing short of horrible. I always leave myself a few options and luckily I'm commuting between 2 main hubs. Worst case is that it takes me 3 flights to get on one. The downside is 2 much time away from home. I miss my 3 yr old son more waaay to much. It's VERY expensive. When I have the flight time to be more competitive for good corporate jobs thats the direction I'm leaning towards. I want the max amount of time home to spend with my little boy. The airlines are fun, the flying is fun, I just didn't realize how much time I would be away from home as a commuter. If your single it probably want be as bad. Take that for what its worth.

Latest resources

Back