Commuting out of VT?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SmellsLikeAvGas

Does anyone live and commute out of Central VT? Wondering how bad it is commuting out of the Rutland area. I know the Rutland airport only has a few Colgan flights to BOS... other options are ALB and BTV. Anybody have any input? Thanks!!

SmellsLikeAvGas said:
I know the Rutland airport only has a few Colgan flights to BOS...

Well, for starters, CommutAir is the only airline flying out of RUT. Colgan hasn't been doing if for a couple of years.

That said, it would not be an easy task commuting out of RUT. Lousy weather combined with lousy approaches leads to overflights. Further, since the flying is subsidized with an EAS contract, the schedule isn't that great (early morning departures and late evening arrivals).

As far as ALB or BTV, I'm not sure if anyone has crew bases there (except for an ever-dwindling ALB base for CommutAir), but you could commute out of either airport with a lot more success than Rutland.

QP

Check the cargo haulers: Wiggins does RUT to ALB? and BTV to MHT and ALB?? used to be a shorts doing BTV-ALB-ROC also. AirNow doesn't take jumpseaters from DDH/PLB. Where are you trying to jumpseat too?? might as well just make the two hour drive to Albany.

Thanks.. Initially, would be commuting to JFK.. Found a great house, right in ski country, but worried about the commute. 2 hrs to ALB might get old real fast. Seems everything closer to the airports (and more civilization) is waaaay up there in price.

Well, that, and nobody flies ALB-JFK anymore; Eagle stopped a while ago. JetBlue does BTV-JFK; that's probably your best bet.

JFK...go Jetblue from BTV. Vermont doesn't salt their roads in the winter, they just throw sand on top of it to keep the rivers clean, so make sure you have something with 4 wheel drive. Congrats! beautiful area but tough commuting even across town in the winter.

T-REX said:
Check the cargo haulers: Wiggins does RUT to ALB? and BTV to MHT and ALB?? used to be a shorts doing BTV-ALB-ROC also. AirNow doesn't take jumpseaters from DDH/PLB. Where are you trying to jumpseat too?? might as well just make the two hour drive to Albany.

FYI, Wiggins does not allow jumpseaters.

Avgas,

Good post, thanks for asking. I am with SWA, PHX living and based, but have family roots in Cuttingsville VT (just outside Rutland). That is such a beautiful area, and where I started flying. I would love to live there again, but I suppose the closest base for me would be BWI. I could commute from Albany, Manchester, or Hartford, but all are a pretty good drive from Rutland. I don't mind a couple of hours driving, but never liked the lack of control presented by commuting on an airplane.

I suppose I could live closer to one of those said three airports, but then again the reliance on an airplane to get to work won't go away. Maybe the headache of the commute would be worth it, I'll figure it out eventually. If you figure out a good solution please let me know, I'm always thinking about how I could get back there and still have a reasonable commuting QOL.

Anyone out there have any insight on good places to live near any of those airports?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back