Commuting on reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Meiguy

I was recently hired by Expressjet and was wondering if it is feasable to commute while on reserve. I understand that you really need a crash pad at your base so you can make the 2 hour call out. I would be commuting out of ATL going to either Houston or Newark. Just wanted some opinions on if it's worth trying to do this or not. I don't know a whole lot about how schedules work while on reserve, so for those currently doing this, whats a typical month like?. How much easier is it once you hold a line.

Thanks

Years ago (pre9/11) when I was a 135 freight dog, I commuted to ATL on ASA and connected to IAH on Continental every Saturday for 10 months and never had a problem. Don't know Newark but as long as you have a crashpad wherever your base is you should be ok (if you give yourself time)
And, speaking as someone who once threw the dice on reserve and stayed
at home, don't do it!! I was a nervous wreck. I vowed never again! (I did get away with it though!!). Cheers, Wil

Reserve scheds are typically 4 or 5 on and 2 or 3 off. You will have 11 days off in a month. The reserve duty periods run for 15 hours
IAH - 0300-1800, 0600-2100, 0900-2400, 1200-0300, 1700-0800
EWR - 0330-1830, 0700-2200, 0900-2400, 1700-0800
CLE - 0400-1900, 0800-2300, 1130-0230
You will have the same callout period all month, the 1700-0800 usually go real senior if they use it at all. You have 15 minutes to call them back, then 2 hours till show once you talk with them.

I live in my hub, so I cant give any advice personally on commuting on reserve, but I know people who do it, and some like it, and some don't, sorry i cant be help on that one.

Commuting while on reserve....well...$ucks.

I did it for a while and it was driving me absolutely crazy. I had very little time at home and when I was home, I was worrying about how to make it back to my domicile in time.

With that said, I believe that you'd be better off being based in IAH. Crashpads are numerous and cheap there and you won't have to deal with commuting to EWR, which can be tough in the winter due to their weather.

If at all possible, move to your domicile and take a trip back to ATL once in a while. Your quality of life will be better.

Of course, you also must consider how long you will be on reserve. I just got on with JB and will be commuting to JFK (while on reserve). But, I should have a line by Thanksgiving which will make my life much better.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers!

GP

I must agree with Guppy Puppy. Commuting on reserve is no way to live. Many of XJT's junior reserve schedules mostly have periods of only 2 days off in a row. Meaning by the time you commute home, you have about enough time to pack, kiss your wife, and head back.

That being said, if you are single and don't have a real attachment to being at home, it isn't so bad. When I used to work for ACA I commuted from Las Vegas to Chicago. I was single then. Chicago was such a fun city that "living" there while on reserve didn't bother me at all. All sorts of fun.

However, when I was recalled to XJT I had to commute from Chicago to EWR for a while on reserve. I wasn't single. I absolutely hated my life - I was never home. I moved to CLE as soon as I got based there and I am much happier now.

Commuting in general is no good if you don't like being away from home, even when you hold a line. I would seriously consider moving to Houston - you will have a much better quality of life. However, if you are seriously attached to Atlanta, then definitely try to get based in IAH instead of EWR. Cheaper crashpads, and the weather will be more what you are used to. Plus, more growth going on right now in IAH. New hires who have been here for only three months are holding relief lines in IAH.

Commuting on reserve..... While on probation...... Outside of Union protection..... Do you want to keep your job at Express?

If not thats fine just another spot open for me when I get the time to apply with them.

Sounds pretty stupid to me IMO

Good Luck
Doogie

I am also from ATL. When I got hired by CALEX five years ago my wife and I moved to IAH. It was probably the worst decision I ever made. Three and half years and a mortgage later we finally figured that we had enough of Houston. We moved back to Birmingham just over a year ago and will be moving back to ATL this time next year. We have been much happier now that we are back in the land of sweet tea, real BBQ, and the Auburn Tigers :). Believe me, as a native Georgian, Houston blows. And, the rest of the bases go down hill from there.

The best advise I ever got was from a retired Pan Am pilot: pick were you want to live and stay there, because in this industry your base will change periodicaly and your airline might also, a few times.

Frats,

Doogie said:
Commuting on reserve..... While on probation...... Outside of Union protection..... Do you want to keep your job at Express?

If not thats fine just another spot open for me when I get the time to apply with them.

Sounds pretty stupid to me IMO

Good Luck
Doogie

As a former ALPA Rep myself I think I can shed some light on this. In the last four or five years there has only been three pilots fired from CALEX. All of them were Captains. Only one has been for attendance issues and that was because the pilot refused to show up for work.

All in all, don't worry too much about it.

Frats,

Capt. Caucasian said:
As a former ALPA Rep myself I think I can shed some light on this. In the last four or five years there has only been three pilots fired from CALEX. All of them were Captains. Only one has been for attendance issues and that was because the pilot refused to show up for work.

All in all, don't worry too much about it.

Frats,
Wow who wouldn't want to show up for work flyin an RJ!?!?!

To each his own:rolleyes:

Doogie

Wow who wouldn't want to show up for work flyin an RJ!?!?!

Dude,

After the initial woody goes away, an RJ is just another airplane.. Once you start flying for a living, you'll have your days when the last thing you want to see is an airplane.

Latest resources

Back