Commutes unlikely to be addressed in new rules on pilot fatigue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lampshade

Lawmakers say the long distances flown just for pilots to get to work are contributing to the problem, but the FAA said there is no plan to make policy changes.

By Joe Markman December 2, 2009

Reporting from Washington - The Federal Aviation Administration will announce new rules on pilot fatigue in January, but they probably will not include restrictions on long-distance commutes that lawmakers said Tuesday are essential to solving the problem.

The crash of a regional Colgan Air flight in Buffalo that killed 50 people in February highlighted the need for federal rules limiting the distance pilots often have to fly to begin their workday, said Sen. Byron L. Dorgan (D-N.D.), who heads the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee's aviation panel.

One pilot traveled from Seattle to Newark, N.J., before the Buffalo flight, the other from Tampa, Fla. Both died in the crash.

"You've got people whose work station is on the East Coast, flying from all over the country just to go to work," Dorgan said at a hearing Tuesday. "I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't commute. I am suggesting that if you're going to have this kind of substantial commuting, you better understand that you're going to have some problems."

Ice buildup on the plane and lack of pilot experience also may have been factors in the Buffalo crash. The National Transportation Safety Board is still investigating.

Sen. Olympia J. Snowe (R-Maine) called pilot commuting "an issue that deserves immediate concern" and at the hearing urged Margaret Gilligan, the FAA's associate administrator for aviation safety, to consider long-distance commutes a contributing factor to the overall problem of pilot fatigue.

Gilligan said the FAA's rule-making committee, which worked from July to September this year developing recommendations for the agency based on science and international standards, did not recommend any changes to current airline commuting policies. So far, the FAA continues "to see that as a pilot responsibility," Gilligan said, though the administration is "considering additional elements" to the upcoming rules.

The rule-making committee, composed of 18 labor, industry and FAA representatives, delivered its final report to the FAA on Sept. 10.

Joe Williams, a spokesman for Pinnacle Airlines, which owns Colgan Air, said the company respects the right of pilots to live where they choose. "Where would you draw the line?" he asked.

Industry and labor representatives brought up similar points in questioning the government's possible intervention.

"It's a crew member's responsibility to be rested and prepared," said David Castelveter, a spokesman for the Air Transport Assn. of America, the nation's largest airline trade group.

Capt. John Prater, president of the Air Line Pilots Assn., the leading pilot union in North America, said in an interview after the hearing that the instability of the regional airline business contributes to pilots suddenly finding themselves with commutes of hundreds of miles because their airline has lost or gained a contract with a larger airline.

Prater, a pilot who lives in southern Illinois, has had to commute as far as Guam, in the western Pacific Ocean, to get to work.

Still, he disagrees that the problem is as bad as lawmakers say, and said he believes businesses and unions should come together to make sure pilots are properly rested and fliers remain safe.

"I have serious doubt that this is an issue for the regulators," Prater said.

I cant see how the FAA can tell you what to do on your off time. Some people commute along way, some people have new born babies that get up every 3 hours, some people may have many other reason that could cause some fatigue before you start a trip. The only thing they can demand and hope for is that we are responsible enough so we dont show up the 1st day with 3 hours of sleep before starting a 14 hour duty day

If you've never shown up for a 14 hour day on 3 hours of sleep, you've never workedat a commuter/regional

on a side note- I hate this democratic congress and administration- always regulating- weakening our companies by listening to unions.

I've been hearing that we'll like what comes out of the FAA- forget my partisan flame- is everyone hearing the same thing? Much more scientific an approach

I cant see how the FAA can tell you what to do on your off time.

Sure they can... and they already do-
You can not consume alcohol 8 hours prior to flying.

So if your'e on vacation but have a 6 am departure the first day back, you can't have that last sip of wine even though you are still on vacation 11:59pm the night before.

At some point, I expect to see a rule that requires pilots to be within a certain distance of the base of operations 8 or 10 hours prior to reporting for duty~
Just my opinion...

motch

Sure they can... and they already do-
You can not consume alcohol 8 hours prior to flying.

So if your'e on vacation but have a 6 am departure the first day back, you can't have that last sip of wine even though you are still on vacation 11:59pm the night before.

At some point, I expect to see a rule that requires pilots to be within a certain distance of the base of operations 8 or 10 hours prior to reporting for duty~
Just my opinion...

motch

That can't be enforced.

We're responsible adults (well, not all), and should make decisions that reflect that.

I totally agree...
Enforcement would be very hard, if not impossible.
BUT-

Just like it is our responsibility to have our pubs current, no one from the company checks it before a flight but assumes that when you sign in, you are current.
But God forbid you get ramp checked and don't have the latest jepp revision!

Same thing could happen with a "in place" commuter policy. Nothing would happen until an accident or incident. But then, if you commuted in the same day and couldn't show a rest period... a violation!

I have commuted before and it sucked. I'm all for a policy that-
1) Gives you a positive space seat on the flight INTO domicile
2) Has some provision for rest... ie, hotel discounts or quiet room in the crew room for rest.

BTW, does Delta currently have a requirement for their pilots who fly ULH that requires them to be "in base" prior to flight assignment?

Latest resources

Back