Commute on DAL from DEN to NYC or ATL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dr Pepper

Would it be doable for a DAL newhire to commute from DEN to either ATL or NYC? I know NYC would be a 2-hop, but ATL could be a 1-hop. Are there seats available to make this type of commute possible?

Also how junior is LA?

Would it be doable for a DAL newhire to commute from DEN to either ATL or NYC? I know NYC would be a 2-hop, but ATL could be a 1-hop. Are there seats available to make this type of commute possible?

Also how junior is LA?

If you're gonna do the commute, you need to look at all options..not just one carrier....

With that being said, there are 18 non-stops/day DEN-ATL and likely 3 or 4 times that number to all the NYC area airports.

It'll be a $hitty commute in the winter, with delays, and such, but should be plenty doable on a number of carriers.

DEN has a ton of commuters. I know of at least a dozen AirTran pilots doing the trip to ATL, and even more Flight attendants.

DEN has a ton of commuters. I know of at least a dozen AirTran pilots doing the trip to ATL, and even more Flight attendants.

Yes, but as a Delta newhire you would have priority over AirTran pilots wanting to get on Delta flights. Regardless you have myriad UAL, AirTran, Frontier and Delta choices I would think to ATL.

There are two JetBlue direct flights into JFK from DEN so you might be able to do that without two hopping it. I know some JetBlue fellas that commute to JFK and it isn't that bad. JetBlue has two cockpit jumpseats and now three cabin jumpseats all available to pilots.

Also how junior is LA?

I think Delta will be trying the DEN to JFK flights (again) nonstop here shortly. We'll see how long that lasts. I believe it will be on the 737-800 too.

Dr. Pepper - did you get hired at Delta?

As mentioned, DEN has lots o' flights to the ATL. I'm a former pilot of a wholly owned subsidiary of Mother Delta (one guess...) and I was always leary of not being able to get on a DAL jumpseat because there are plenty of DAL commuters outta here who have the capability of reserving the jump in advance. The back of the bus is often full, so I've ridden up front many times (always treated well). It also seems that ATL ground stops have significantly decreased with the new runway down there.

I suppose just like anywhere else, Spring Break, Christmas, and all summer are nightmarish out of DEN--but I believe Airtran has recently gone CASS.

It will get 100 degrees for a 2 to 5 day stretch out here in the summer time, and that weight restricts an MD-88, even with a 16000' runway--didn't get on a flight because of that--but that's only happened once so far in about 4+ years of doing the commute.

My vote is for ATL as opposed to Idlewild...

Don't forget you have the EWR and LGA options besides JFK. It's a bitch to get from one to the other (although LGA has a bus that runs every 20 minutes or so), but they're there if you need them.

Latest resources

Back