Commutair...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyinCane

Anybody out there know what the current situation at Commutair is? Do they still have folks on furlough? Do they plan to hire in the near future? How many aircraft are they operating at the moment? Is the ALB micro-hub working out for the company? Any info is appreciated...

Thanks!
FlyinCane

FlyinCane said:
Anybody out there know what the current situation at Commutair is? Do they still have folks on furlough? Do they plan to hire in the near future? How many aircraft are they operating at the moment? Is the ALB micro-hub working out for the company? Any info is appreciated...

Thanks!
FlyinCane

Hey Cane... I can give you a little info: We're not hiring actively, although I hear rumors they're starting to interview again. (Not much movement out of the company means not much hiring. Once more folks start taking our people again, that should change. I think only a couple of folks have left in the past few months.)

The micro-hub thing is working much better than the point-to-point, and passenger loads are still picking up. Albany Airport is building us more ramp space, which is a good sign. We're not flying full planes very often (I saw my first full one since our furlough last night, in fact), but it's steadily improving. The future's still uncertain, of course, but it looks much more positive than it did six months ago.

Hope that helps.

Wow CA1900, that almost sounds like a positive post about CommodeAir! Are you feeling OK?

And please, no flames about my use of "CommodeAir". I mention it only because of the p!ssing matches that have been going on about it on other threads. I find it amusing when someone who never worked there refers to it by that name.

Last edited:
I've asked around and recommendations have priority but don't be shy, send to the Chief Piot and the HR rep. There will be a class of 12 in Sept and then after that, who know. The reserve is looking to be about for a few months, BUT, you get 12 days off per month, and your work consists of 1 week of reserve and the rest are trips. the avg. FO hours are 62-72 per month (including reserve)

Mo is bettah

I hate to interject and suggest that a current CA employee might be wrong, but listen to what I have to say...

12 days a month off?

Remember, it's 12 days off PER BID. Each bid is 28 days, so there are essentially 13 months to every "CommutAir year". What this adds up to is...

13 days off per month.

Similarly, those who aren't familiar might hear that CommutAir's guarantee is 76 hours. Remember, that TOO is PER BID. Over 13 months, you really get a guarantee of...

83 hours.

Not bad stuff.

Also note that Commutair pays for employee AND family health insurance. If you have a family that is worth a few hundred dollars per month. Add into that the on-time performance incentive ($100/month if goals are met - they have been met ever since the program has been instituted) and you get a compensation package that is better than any other 1900 operator out there.

I have also heard the rumors of a September class. Some movement has started again. We have had some guys leave for Execjet (or whatever they are called now) and Airtran just recently and some more who could go at any time. Plus there are a few guys in the pool at Southwest and just waiting for a class date. There has also been some movement to other regionals like ACA and Comair.

I have said before and will say it again, I think Commutair has turned the corner and morale is picking up again. Sure the 1900 isn't the most glamourous aircrat out there but it is fun to fly and ours are well maintained (MELs don't sit around here, they get fixed ASAP - I have been back since March and have only twice flown airplanes with an MEL - one was fixed after only one leg). We also have a good pilot group and have a lot of fun. Personally I like it here and think anyone with a good attitude will as well.

Sure the 1900 isn't the most glamourous aircrat out there but it is fun to fly

I second that!!! Nothing like holding 220 til 3dme in BOS and zipping past a jet on the parallel... Fun airplane!!!

I'm sold!!!

Being from California does anyone think a west coast boy has a chance? I've been sending out my application via the website for a few months, anybody know if I should alslo be sending out my resume too?

We have several west coast folks here, that should not be a problem. Send in your resume via the online thing and by regular mail as well.

Latest resources

Back