• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
brew3 departure...

Where are you from? MKE??

Congrats on the interview!!!

I start class Mon at another regional.

RJ

As far as what to study for the interview, be prepared to read weather, know the airplane that you are currently flying, and be up to date on the regulations that govern your current flying (ie. 91, 135, 121). When you are there, be yourself, don't kiss a$$ (they can see right through that and hate it). Be humbe, this isn't an RJ, and if you came out of one, don't think that you are ready for a 1900. As I.P. said there are a lot of people here who are "airplane snobs" who think that they are ready for an RJ after 6 months on line. That really Pi$$es the people here off... I'd like to see an RJ crew do our typical daily routine. I think that even the anti-commutair people out there, will agree the flying that we do is way different from the typical RJ flying.

The grass is always greener on the other side, but some times
you have to sit back and look at what you really have... Everyone here is here for different reasons, and you need to know why you want to be here. You can be extremly happy here. You can also be miserable as he!!. It depends on your outlook. (God the flames that I'm going to get with this one).

To answer the various questions that this post have raised.

1. Yes CommutAir will make you resign whatever seniority that you hold. This is not a rumor but straight from the Cheif Pilot and DO. Its makes buisness sense, why spend the money to train you when we know that you are just a Temp employee?

2. The year upgrade... This is also from the CP's mouth, its was not a firm answer, but the way I understood it, starting with the upgrade class that is scheduled for the first of May, if we upgrade 4 a month, everyone that is CURRENTLY on our seniority list will be upgraded within a year. This doesnot apply to the new hires (first class will be in April) remember these are the last of the furlough recalls who have at least one-two months on line before the furlough.

3. Are we going to go out of buisness? Who knows? are we living month to month? Not in my opinion, more like quarter to quarter. Yes the people who have posted otherwise have a point, the "we are on plan and looking good" information sounds just like what we hearing right before the downsizing. But last year when we heard it, it was mainly echo's in the hall. You never saw the owners around. Now on a daily basis, one of the owners (IMHO the only one who really cares) is walking the hanger answering questions, working on other code shares, trying to arrange other EAS routes, etc. At least now when I hear that we are going to make it, I at least can see the owner trying to make it work.

For ALL who are interested feel free to PM me....

Good luck

Re: Bitch, bitch, bitch...

I.P. Freley said:
"I've got a job and it sucks... WHAAAAA!!!" That's what I read from Col. Cairo. I hope you understand how much better you have it than a disturbing number of others.
Ahhh, so you're one of those. "Things are worse elsewhere, so that means things must be OK here at CommutAir." If you really believe that, you're deluding yourself. You really think because another airline treats its employees even worse, it's OK for CommutAir to dump on its people as it does?

I worked for CommutAir for a year and a half...
OH! I'm sorry. Then you know everything about the inner-workings of this company. Pardon me for questioning someone with a whopping 18 months of airline experience.

I left because I was convinced that they were going to be out of business by the end of the year...
And if it weren't for the lawsuit that's currently hanging over the company, relating to embezzlement and retirement fraud, they would have closed the doors already. They're operating now under the guise of a "restructuring." It's window dressing; believe that.

All that aside, I know that CommutAir was the best flying job I will ever have or have had...
My god, you have been drinking the company water, haven't you?

No union, and strangely enough when reading about how badly you imagine they are treating you, we never NEEDED a union.
Look up the terms "Trip Rig," "Duty Rig," "Commuter Clause" and "Deadhead Pay." Then forward it to Commutair, too, because they've never heard of any of it, unlike many unionized carriers. They're not a panacea, but a union contract gives you dramatically better security and working conditions than the "at-will" employment Commutair does.

What I have seen about the p-o'd people at CommutAir is that they seemed to have a terminally bad attitude about everything...
Then you've never flown with me. I'm about the most positive guy you'll ever meet, and used to talk up the company, too. But it's hard to be positive about a company once you realize that they've LIED to you, day-in, day-out.

For those that are looking at CommutAir, don't let Colonel Sourpuss turn you off.
Heavens, no, don't listen to reasonable arguments. Instead, just look at Commutair's track record. But hey, if you don't mind moving every time crew scheduling gets a bug up their rear-end and decides to close one domicile and open up another, have at it.

If you come to work here, buy a Winnebago. You're gonna need it.

Fully-paid medical...
Let me know how that works out next time you need a prescription filled or an emergency room visit. It's mediocre insurance, and the mediocre dental costs extra.

Yeah, they had their problems and they continue to as well, but from what I see and from what my friends there see, things are probably going to continue to improve.
Sure they are. I carried sixteen people the other day! Only problem is, it took 8 legs to do it, and they were the $69 "introductory" fares.

In 20 years, ask yourself if CommutAir was really the best job you will ever have. I think you'll laugh in your own face when you realize what you've said.

Company Man said:
You can be extremly happy here. You can also be miserable as he!!. It depends on your outlook. (God the flames that I'm going to get with this one).
No flames necessary. But there's a difference between appreciating what you have a working to make it better, and putting blinders on and thinking this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If you really believe Commutair has your best interests even on their map, you're nuts.

Yes the people who have posted otherwise have a point, the "we are on plan and looking good" information sounds just like what we hearing right before the downsizing. But last year when we heard it, it was mainly echo's in the hall.
Nice try, Sinkrate, but it wasn't echoing in the hallways, it was coming straight from Andy Price's mouth on his hotline. He said, and I quote, "Don't believe the doom and gloom rumors." THIRTY SIX frickin' hours later, half of us were furloughed.

For your next trick, care to tell me what happened to all the money Continental gave us to paint the airplanes in their livery? I'm amazed US Airways hasn't sued us yet.

Now just a second here, you're the "most positive I'd ever want to meet"? Actually, I'd rather slit my wrists than have to sit in the cockpit all day long and listen to you complain. Drink the company water? Were you paying attention? I don't work there anymore. Must be powerful water, indeed, if it is still affecting me six months later... Get over it.

>>>In 20 years, ask yourself if CommutAir was really the best job you will ever have. I think you'll laugh in your own face when you realize what you've said.<<<

Nope, just laughing at YOU. You should've paid better attention in English class, because you might've learned a thing or two about proper use of sarcasm... When properly implemented, it can make for biting commentary and reveal suppressed truths... When YOU use it, you just sound like a bitter little boy.

Why WOULDN'T it be the best job I ever had? Where else will I have one month's worth of reserve? Where else will I be able to pick and choose my days off? Where else would've I gotten 13 days off in a row for Xmas and New Year's without using a single day of vacation? Where else would I NEVER be junior-manned in 18 months? Where else would a day off be a DAY OFF with no "don't answer the phone" shennanigans? Where else will I end each day thinking I have the best job in the world?

I have worked for other companies, your stupid assumption to the contrary notwithstanding, and unfortunately they are riddled with people like you... "the company screwed me", "crew scheduling screwed me", "I got my days off taken from me", etc., etc., etc. What this really shows me is that your ignorant "18 months of airline experience" comment REALLY means is that YOU have never worked for another airline, or think that being on board at ACA is the tonic that will cure all your ills. You couldn't be more wrong.

Nice try, but your true colors shine through. Whaa whaa whaa. If you REALLY think it's better somewhere else, by all means, go there and prove us all wrong. You clearly have all the answers and don't need anyone else's input. You almost sound like you might possibly make sense when you say that everyone is allowed to want to improve their situation, that not everything is wine and roses, but unfortunately the bulk of what you say is more like WHINE and roses.

Good luck in your future endeavors, you're sure gonna need it with an attitude like yours. You attempt to sound reasonable with your arguments, but it's all "window dressing" for your real attitude problem. Flame away... Aim it at me, aim it at crew scheduling, whatever... It's what you do best.

Ditto.

As a former CommutAirsman who has since moved on, I can tell you it isn't better elsewhere. You make more money, you fly a bigger airplane, but you get treated worse. I think that's why people seem to complain less at bigger companies, because they think it's going to be better when their seniority builds up. Wrong. The amount of crapola you get fed by the company only gets worse as the company gets bigger, the union gets fatter, and the the planes get heavier. Enjoy it while you can Julio, you are in for a rude awakening when you get to your next company.

I do not know about all the negative B.S. I am hearing. I have a Commutair interview and it is the most exciting thing so far in my flying career. Times are tough as we all know but to have a chance at a 121 job and flying a good aircraft to get the airline career started, What an oppurtunity. No job is ever perfect but why not make the best of it?
Anyway fly safe everybody!

I seem to have touched a nerve here...

My goodness...

There are obviously some strong feelings about Commutair, but from what I've seen in my limited 121 experience, I think that's true everywhere.

To answer Ryjacks - no, I'm not from MKE originally. I moved up there in July of '01 and promptly moved out (back to Chicago) after I was furloughed. I did like it for the short amount of time I was there. Miller Park is a great place, the lakefront is nice (not as nice as the windy city's though!), and I really was looking forward to living there. Much cheaper than Illinois, for the most part. What regional are you starting at? Congrats on that. I'm probably going to have to change my name on here, because recent news has made the chances of me returning to MKE via recall about zero.

Thanks to everyone for offering all of this -- I'll probably see some of you at the interview. I know it's probably not wise to look a gift horse in the mouth, but has anyone else wondered what's prompted this surge of interviews all of a sudden? A buddy of mine who's furloughed from TSA said that his class and several before (Summer of 2001) had as many as 10 Commutair people per class - most of whom were happy to be moving on. TSA obviously furloughed a *rapload of people, and some of those furloughed went back to Commutair? Are these interviews driven by expansion or the fact that a good amount of people whom Commutair has called back are declining to actually return? Just curious.

Take care,
-brew3departure (soon to be something else...)

Latest resources

Back