Commutair and Shuttle America

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello,
Since when is it reasonable to refer to someone as a "scab", if they are not a member of a union? Specifically, in a right-to-work state. My mother-in-law is a career postal employee and not a member of the union nor are some of her co-workers. In fact, she is entitled to union representation in any greivance issues. Of course, the union is not going to be as "enthusiastic" in their support. Still doesn't make her a scab.
The use of coercision by union leadership in trade unions is as old as laborers have been organized, AND it's illegal! In my obervation of union activity in US industry, I'm hard-pressed to see what they have really done for the American worker in the past 25 years? Take a look and see where all those high paying (overpaying) manufacturing jobs have gone. One place, off-shore to places like Mexico, China and Indonesia.
ALPA is a "rice bowl" operation thru and thru...If any of you think for one second that their leadership really cares about the pilot profession and devlopment of a logical pilot career path. Well, you are kidding yourselves. If they did it would have been the cornerstone of contract negotiations. However, the crux of most airline pilot group negotiations is comparing what they make against another pilot group's contract. That is sheer lunacy and no wonder the majors are going broke. They would be going broke even with 9-11 never occuring. Simply look back at the history of airline union negotiations. One word...GREED
Another intersting paradox is the demographics of ALPA and other pilot union groups (UPS, AA). About 1/2 are former military, most of hte remainder are college educated. What political party do these folks traditionally vote? You guessed correctly, Republican.
Look, I'm a pilot, I'm college educated and I served in the military (enlisted). And I flew as a flight crewmember in the military. Pilots are and always have been the biggest group of self-centered whining prima donnas that they were when Orville and Wilbur flipped for who gets to go first!
I get so fed up with the lifestyle crap, days off, commuting ot and from work issues that pilots whine about. Well, tell you what. If you don't freaking like it, and simply want to chase the panacea of airline pilot wealth, time-off, etc...GET A REAL JOB! What the heck do you think that every other college educated person does when they commence their first job? They WORK on salary!!!! What a concept! You mean, I work 50-60 hours per week and have to go above and beyond to be recognized and promoted? Face it, being a pilot is over glorified blue collar work. And the attitudes that come with it are rife amongst the rank and file. As long as that mindset continues, the pilot profession is going to implode upon itself as management snickers at it's whining cry babies that are a necessary evil.
Don't get me wrong I HIGHLY respect the experience, training and skill of professional pilots. I have since I was knee high to a grasshopper and watched my Dad in his USAF career as a pilot. We've simply lost sight of the big picture and even more amazingly in the post 9-11 world it appeas to me that little changed for very long.

Fed up,

Ex-Navy rotorhead

Last edited:
But you're not bitter, Kaman. At least you've got that going for you.

I see you're an airline agent. I detect just a bit of envy in your post about those "self-centered whining prima-donnas." If it weren't for ALPA, most airline pilots would be making something akin to corporate pilot wages. And we (pilots) would have absolutely no protection from the fickle whim of airline managers who tell us to fly broken airplanes illegally, feds who'll violate us for doing so, and politicians who feel we are overpaid.

That's what so many ALPA-bashers fail to realize about our organization. The lobbying it does on the hill on our (pilots -- not agents) behalf.

Ever hear of the Whitlow letter?

I'm sorry you feel this way about pilots and unions. Perhaps your feelings are less about us (pilots -- not agents) and more about yourself.

Last edited:
Hello,
I respectfully disagree to your assertion that my personal feelings have clouded my analysis. I'm not imbittered, jealous or envious. I have flown over 5000 hours as civilian pilot, Naval Aircrewman, jump pilot and soon will be flight instructing full-time. I think if you have read some other threads that are in a similar vein that you can somewhat see what I'm talking about. However, I don't know if I articulated exactly what I was trying to say in the heat of the moment.
I wasn't attacking the organization directly, but I do stand by my statement that the "old school" ALPA is firmly entrenched in maintaing the status qou, which I think is seriously flawed considering the rapid changes to the industry. In point of fact, ALPA has been VERY slow to embrace change, even defying all principles of good business sense. You may recall the old railroad dispute when the fireman were removed from locomotives when they went to diesel as the prime mover. ALPA fought the same fight with the 737, and insisted that it be flown with 3 pilots. United operated their's in this fashion until 1981. To what good end did that serve is beyond me. Sure, it saved pilots from furlough, but it defied logic from both an operational sense and from a business sense.
Another frequently identified misconception that raised my eyebrow last night was the definition of a "Scab". It is only appropriate when describing someone that crosses a picket line or works "struck work". It is not appropriate when describing a non-union member working in a union shop. It's the law of the land, and the person that asserted that is incorrect, at least in a "Right-to-Work" state.
Until there is real change from the leadership, you are going to continue to have these arguments, debates, strikes, etc... It is all about GREED and not me. I have nothing to prove, and bear no ill will. It is simply a fact of our modern society. Pilots come from all walks of life and are a microcosim of what is going on everywhere else. And I'd also like to add that as a group of people that on the outside appear to have a common bond in flight are pretty **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ed divided amongst themselves.

Regards,

ex-Navy rotorhead

Latest resources

Back