Commercial reqmt's - Dual X-Cntry

alvin

Total Time
Looking for some insight.. I was working on my paperwork and going through my log book for commercial check ride and I did not have a "dual" cross country at night over 100 miles. I had many solo PIC that met this requirement. Now $300 poorer i can say I have it in my book.

What is the logic on the dual cross countries for Commercial. I can see the long solo flight, but why dual time.??

Last edited:

Flechas

Total Time
$$$$$$
It diesn't matter if there's a logic behind it or not. It's in the FARs and you have to do it to get your commercial, so suck it up.

Good luck!!

nosehair

Total Time
24/7
The logic escapes you because you are thinking in the usual routine of a newly minted Private continuing on to Commercial; but think of a pilot who got his Private 5 or 10 years ago, and has only flown local since then, or the pilot who flys highways only or GPS only or radar vectors only...these guys need a brush up on proper preflight planning and navigation.

Remember the pilots who flew over the Capitol building???

igneousy2

Total Time
100+
Perhaps with a different instructor and a different attitude you may have learned something and thus realized the value of having the extra instruction.

later

midlifeflyer

Total Time
some
I know that the reason for the long solo commercial xc is to meet ICAO requirements. Maybe the extra duals are for the same reason.

Tailwind

Total Time
Parole
Also...

Don't forget...it's not just a night VFR flight for 100nm...it also has to be at least 2 hours long. Ditto for the day VFR 100nm X/C. I know in most 172's it will take you that long just to go out 100nm and back, but some planes can do it much faster.

nosehair

Total Time
24/7
Tailwind said:
I know in most 172's it will take you that long just to go out 100nm and back
...just to clarify, the 100nm figure is a TOTAL figure, not 100nm from departure point. You can go out 50nm and return as long as it takes 2 hours.

lowlycfi

Total Time
-
nosehair said:
...just to clarify, the 100nm figure is a TOTAL figure, not 100nm from departure point. You can go out 50nm and return as long as it takes 2 hours.
The way I interpret the reg, no. They have to be 100nm straight line distance.

Reference § 61.129(a)(3) (iii) and (iv) :
(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

(iv) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

alvin

Total Time
Thanks.. I forget all the differernt background situations that people can bring.

I did the x-cnty 120 nm out to first point, came back with a mid way point. 2.4 Hrs. SO I'm sure I satisified all.

Hope to get checkride scheduled in next couple of weeks.

nosehair

Total Time
24/7
lowlycfi said:
The way I interpret the reg, no. They have to be 100nm straight line distance.
...oops! You're right. My bad. I was thinkin' of the private night dual xc. That's what I get for thinkin'. :(

lowlycfi

Total Time
-
nosehair said:
...oops! You're right. My bad. I was thinkin' of the private night dual xc. That's what I get for thinkin'. :(
I hear ya. It gets hard to keep all of these requirements straight sometimes!