Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sky37d

Two (2) questions.
If I want to go get my commercial, and I have no interest in flying single engine commercial, who teaches that.
Can I take my commercial ME in my Skymaster, or will I then end up with CLT limitation? I do not have that limitation currently. Currently I am simple ME and Instrument.
Oh, I have about 850TT, and 700 ME.

sky37d said:
Two (2) questions.
If I want to go get my commercial, and I have no interest in flying single engine commercial, who teaches that.
Can I take my commercial ME in my Skymaster, or will I then end up with CLT limitation? I do not have that limitation currently. Currently I am simple ME and Instrument.
Oh, I have about 850TT, and 700 ME.

Wow...those are great questions.

uh...well...

1. I'll teach ya if ya want (for the commercial ME)...I'm sure almost any MEI could teach you for the commercial.

2. I believe if you do your commercial checkride in the skymaster you'll be limited to CLT...HOWEVER - if you did the OEI stuff in a "conventional twin" I think you could do the rest in the skymaster.

What did you take your private ME checkride in?

Good with the training!

-mini

I did my private ME at the school in Texas, $995 (now $1295) for ME.

I don't understand OEI??

I did my Instrument in the Skymaster, and they were initially going to limit me to CLT, but since I was private ME, conventional, they made it Instrument conventional ME.

The challenge, as I see it, is that I can go out and practice manuevers all day long in my plane. If I have to go rent a conventional twin, it would take longer and cost more. Also, I know my plane. There is a period of familiarization for an unfamiliar plane, and regardless of who owns it, it cost money.

sky37d said:
I did my private ME at the school in Texas, $995 (now $1295) for ME.

I don't understand OEI??

I did my Instrument in the Skymaster, and they were initially going to limit me to CLT, but since I was private ME, conventional, they made it Instrument conventional ME.

The challenge, as I see it, is that I can go out and practice manuevers all day long in my plane. If I have to go rent a conventional twin, it would take longer and cost more. Also, I know my plane. There is a period of familiarization for an unfamiliar plane, and regardless of who owns it, it cost money.

The info you are looking for is given in the Commercial PTS

http://www.faa.gov/education_research/testing/airmen/test_standards/pilot/media/FAA-S-8081-12B.pdf

It specifically states that

"
The removal of the “Limited to Center Thrust” limitation at the commercial pilot certificate level requires an applicant to satisfactorily perform the following AREAS OF OPERATION and TASKs from the commercial AMEL and AMES PTS in a multiengine airplane that has a manufacturer’s published VMC speed.

AREA OF OPERATION I: PREFLIGHT PREPARTATION
TASK H: PRINCIPLES OF FLIGHT-ENGINE INOPERATIVE

AREA OF OPERATION X: EMERGENCY OPERATIONS
TASK B: ENGINE FAILURE DURING TAKEOFF BEFORE VMC (SIMULATED)
TASK C: ENGINE FAILURE AFTER LIFT-OFF (SIMULATED)
TASK D: APPROACH AND LANDING WITH AN INOPERATIVE ENGINE (SIMULATED)

AREA OF OPERATION XI: MULTIENGINE OPERATIONS
TASK A: MANEUVERING WITH ONE ENGINE INOPERATIVE
TASK B: VMC DEMONSTRATION
"

thanks
So, I have to go buy a conventional ME, or rent one.
I think renting is cheaper.
What is a good school to concentrate on doing this?

I think it would be in your best interest to get both single and multi comm. My dad graduated from college with a degree in aviation. He was on ROTC scholarship back in the day when the gov would pay for your flying and only did his ratings in the multi. He only got a multi commerical, instrument and he went into the military and flew for 27 years. After retirement he applied for a Forestry department flying job. It is a really great job flying for the state (state employment) making good money, but it requires you to have a single engine comm. rating so he could not qualify. I am not sure about airplanes like (for example) the caravan would require you to have a single engine comm., maybe one of the more FAR savy guys could answer that but just think about it. The single is really not hard if you can fly the sht out of a multi.

Just my .02

Latest resources

Back