• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commercial Long Cross Country

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow there is a lot of misinformation in this post.Minitour... to address your questions.

1.The rule for crediting previous 61 experience ONLY applies at the time of enrollment. AFter that all the time towards the 141 certificate must be conducted under 141 rules.

2. Whether or not you can do it in another aircraft depends on the schools specific 141 certificate. You will have to check this with your chief pilot. Many schools are required to keep a tail number list of 141 aircraft, everytime one enters or leaves the flight line the list is updated. Under some 141 certificates however you can fly other aircraft for the solo time and it will count.

2a. Sundevil also makes a good point regarding airports. 141 schools must have an approved list of airports, and operations otherwise require chief pilot approval if they are to count for 141, so check that too if you plan to do it in Ohio

3. You definitely do NOT have to do it as a VFR flight or even in VFR conditions. You could file and fly in the clouds if you wanted it will count. This is in the regulations and I've cross checked it with examiners, the VFR rule is only for the night solo and the dual cross countries.

4. Obviously you do not need an endorsement for this flight.

hope this helps
cale

OK, thanks for the reeming on the endorsement issue! I do flight instructing on the side, and I've never done a Commercial student before, so I'm mostly use to dealing with student pilot cross countries! I'll wake up a little more next time before I post!

Thanks for the corrections!

cale42 said:
Wow there is a lot of misinformation in this post.Minitour... to address your questions.

1.The rule for crediting previous 61 experience ONLY applies at the time of enrollment. AFter that all the time towards the 141 certificate must be conducted under 141 rules.

2. Whether or not you can do it in another aircraft depends on the schools specific 141 certificate. You will have to check this with your chief pilot. Many schools are required to keep a tail number list of 141 aircraft, everytime one enters or leaves the flight line the list is updated. Under some 141 certificates however you can fly other aircraft for the solo time and it will count.

2a. Sundevil also makes a good point regarding airports. 141 schools must have an approved list of airports, and operations otherwise require chief pilot approval if they are to count for 141, so check that too if you plan to do it in Ohio

3. You definitely do NOT have to do it as a VFR flight or even in VFR conditions. You could file and fly in the clouds if you wanted it will count. This is in the regulations and I've cross checked it with examiners, the VFR rule is only for the night solo and the dual cross countries.

4. Obviously you do not need an endorsement for this flight.

hope this helps
cale
Thank you!

-mini

JonJohn82 said:
Come by KOUN and eat at Ozzie's here.
We frequently have stop-overs at OUN, and if you land there, you must eat at Ozzie's! Great food, and you can't beat their all-you-can-eat breakfast's for mere pocket change.

Just be careful that if you do have the all-you-can-eat breakfast, you dont jump right into your plane and start off on a long flight somewhere. It'll always catch up with you about the time you level off at FL410 heading for the long haul.

Yeah, since the flight school I fly for is in the terminal with Ozzie's, I eat there quite a bit.

The key term is "FAA Approved Course". All flights conducted towards certification under Part 141 must be within the specific school's "Approved Course". You cannot enroll in an "Approved Course", then go outside and do flying that counts toward certification under the "Approved Course" curriculum.

Our 141 school has a list of approved airfields for Private students to use for touch and gos and PPL cross countries. There are no specified airports for our Commercial students.

Last edited:
Listen to Cale. He knows his 141 stuff.

I don't claim to be an authority, but... I did 141 training and I seem to remember flying off to all kinds of odd airports to get my commercial cross country time. Don't recall checking a list or getting permision to go to a single one.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back