Commercial Helo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

trol1374

I have a question about the commercial requirement for the Helicopter ticket. FAR 61.129 states one needs 10 hrs of instrument time in an aircraft. I suppose that means it can be in a fixed wing (have ASEL)? Could a CFI I provide the dual 10 hrs if CFI is rated for Helicopter, but Helo isn't IFR equipped? Or must it be done by a CFI II? Could you get the 10 dual in a simulator (airplane)?

Last edited:
The 10 hours must be provided by a CFII, but it can be in any category of aircraft.

Could a CFI I provide the dual 10 hrs if CFI is rated for Helicopter, but Helo isn't IFR equipped? Or must it be done by a CFI II?

Technically the helicopter used for the 10 hours of dual instrument instruction doesn't need to be equipped with all of the 91.205 VFR/IFR requirements, but obviously if you're going to be doing instrument training, that would help maximize the benefit of the training. In any case, the instructor must have an instrument rating attached his or her instructor certificate, and be qualified to provide instruction in the category/class of aircraft used for the instruction.

And simulators don't count - it has to be in an aircraft.

Good luck!

I was afraid of the "aircraft" eliminating the use of a simulator. We need to get a comm rating, but our aircraft aren't IFR, so we won't EVER be doing IFR flying.

Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back