Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commercial and Type Rating in 1 checkride?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fearless Tower

Anyone know if it is possible to combine the commercial and type rating flight tests into one single oral/checkride? I'm sure that, at a minimum, it would require 2 separate applications and examiner's fees, but just trying to get an idea as to whether it can or has been done.

yes, this can be done with no sweat. Many guys, myself included, paired their ATP ride with a type ride. In that case it is the same PTS, so there are no extra maneuvers or oral questions. the only prob with doing the commercial this way is that there may be some things that you'll have to do for the commercial PTS that wouldn't otherwise be required to do on the type ride. Chandelles, lazy 8s, right off the top of my head.

For me it would depend a lot on the type rating you are talking about. Is it a jet? Much higher performance than what you've been flying? Will the training be done in a sim? You may be setting yourself up for a great deal of added difficulty in doing commercial pilot maneuvers in an airplane that you'll be barely hanging on to to begin with. And flying a sim really is a learning curve all on its own. Those things are bigger issues to me if I were considering a check ride in this way.

What are you coming from/getting in to?

Thanks for the info....Basically looking to upgrade my SIC to PIC in the DC-3. I had been planning to do the commercial first and then go for the PIC Type, but since I'd be doing them around the same time, was thinking it might be a little cheaper to combine them....plus, how many people can say they did their commercial ride in a DC-3?

The chandelles, lazy eights etc. shouldn't be an issue if you're upgrading your DC-3 type to a commercial from your private. Those are single engine maneuvers only and will only be required when going for you're single engine commerical. If you do the type ride and commercial ride in one, you're certificate will have you listed as a commercial pilot with private privelages only in single engine aircraft. The chandelles, lazy eights and whatnot will only have to be demonstrated to have the private single engine restriction removed from from your certificate. Good luck! That must be one beautiful plane to fly!

Don't mix apples and oranges. The Comm and type rating can be two very different rides. Remember if the DC3 is an instrument airplane (some are not) you will be required to do instrument approaches in the DC3. The ATP and type rating are the same exam. You better talk with the examiner before you begin the process.

Latest resources

Back