Comair Training Q's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Homer Jay

I was wondering if some current Comair guys could give me a little insight into a few issues with my training. First, there is nothing in my newhire packet that talks about how I'm supposed to get to Cincinnati. Do they fly you out there or am I supposed to get there on my own? Also, I heard that area apartment managers come into ground school the first week and talk about short term leases. Is this true? Any info. you could provide would be much appreciated as I'm trying to get ready to start class. Thank you!!

new hire

you're gonna need a car, can't walk to anything there. Plenty of crashpads available for 150-200, apts run about 700-800 monthly.
They will let you fly space available but if you don't make it they will roll you into the next class.

Don't worry about the apartment. When you get to class, there will be a big bulletin board full of aparments, crashpads and even houses for sale or rent. You also might want to get together with fellow classmates and rent a place yourself. Get to know them in the first few days, and then rent an apartment and there you go. There are several in the area that have leases that are easy to get out of if you want to buy a house or something later. You probably will not do that until later, unless your wife or parents are rich, or you have a house that you are selling now.

Apartments are perfect if you commute. Just take your time, and don't worry too much about this stuff. There are a LOT of people here to help you, and they will tell you all of this stuff when you arrive for class. Hope this helps, and welcome aboard.

do you have to be an active pilot to get into a crash pad??

question being...if i wanted to do TDY in ORD (ramp) could i get into a crashpad??

Last edited:
tug driver: no you don't have to be a pilot to be a crashpad. Most pads try to get as many as they can w/in reason and space so that the costs stay low. we have plenty of crashpads in LGA that have FA and pilots and others all from different airlines.

the only thing id say about your situation is that you'll be there every night as opposed to pilot/fa who come in the day/night before a trip and are there say 5-8 days per month.

Three questions:

Do any Comair guys have the answer to the following questions?

1. How soon after you start training do the family travel benefits kick in?

2. Do your travel benefits kick in right away (including jump seat privileges) as soon as you start?

3. Are there any opportunities to fly home and see family on weekends during training?

Thanks,

Richard

Pretty soon, as soon as you get your travel card, yes, immediately, and you can, but you might not want to as you need to study!! Good luck.

1. Family travel benefits start 31 days after your start date.

2. Your travel benefits start 31 days after your start date as well, they do not start right away. You're not allowed to jumpseat on Delta/DCI until after your checkride/PC, but you can still jumpseat on other non Delta family carriers.

3. You can fly home on the weekends, go to the G.O. and the awesome people in the travel dept. will write you a space available pass.

Hope that helps!

I just have a couple more questions:

1. Do you recommend wearing a shirt and tie the first day or do you just stick to business casual the whole time?

2. Do they prefer you to dress up for spouse's day?

I'm just trying to figure out how to pack seeing as I'm flying down for groundschool rather than driving and the space in the suitcase is limited. Thanks in advance!

Latest resources

Back