Comair pilot question.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AV8OR

Alright, here's the deal. Today I try and JS from CVG to BHM CMR 5341. Plane is full. 50 , it's pax. We are CASS. Get to the plane and it's loaded pushing in approx 12 min. Cpt looks at creds. Do they have a seat for you in the back? No, they have me up here if it's OK with you. OK. Nop prob. Brief on the seat. There's the headset, yada yada yada, Welcome aboard. Right at push, he says, "I need to go to the restroom." Goes to the back. Comes back up and says, ya know, we might not have enough O2 for you to ride up front, I'm gonna need to check the manual. Looks back and says, "MM sorry, we just don't quite have it. Is there another flight soon to BHM?" Not one that'll get me there in time for the plans with the family, thanks. "Hang on a sec. let me check something.......mmmm, no sorry, can't do it." Thanks again. Merry Christmas! Deplane.

So here's my question......When yall preflight, do yall not look for an O2 min psi or volume that will allow a full boat and a JSer? I mean I have been JSing a long time and never had that happen. Not enough O2. Now, I will tell ya, that he seemed, IMO, to be not to thrilled to have a FFDO transporting in the cockpit. And of course, it's a no no to deny an FFDO based on that, but it just seemed all very odd. I would have figured that he would have known before I stepped aboard that they were tight on O2 . I mean I'm guessing if I'd been FAA, or Checkairman, or whatever, they'd have had to deny me boarding as well. Anyway, before I talk to our JS chairman on the issue, wanted yall's take....

Incedentally, I JS on yall all the time, and always appreciate and enjoy the ride.

Thanks.....

Alright, here's the deal. Today I try and JS from CVG to BHM CMR 5341. Plane is full. 50 , it's pax. We are CASS. Get to the plane and it's loaded pushing in approx 12 min. Cpt looks at creds. Do they have a seat for you in the back? No, they have me up here if it's OK with you. OK. Nop prob. Brief on the seat. There's the headset, yada yada yada, Welcome aboard. Right at push, he says, "I need to go to the restroom." Goes to the back. Comes back up and says, ya know, we might not have enough O2 for you to ride up front, I'm gonna need to check the manual. Looks back and says, "MM sorry, we just don't quite have it. Is there another flight soon to BHM?" Not one that'll get me there in time for the plans with the family, thanks. "Hang on a sec. let me check something.......mmmm, no sorry, can't do it." Thanks again. Merry Christmas! Deplane.

So here's my question......When yall preflight, do yall not look for an O2 min psi or volume that will allow a full boat and a JSer? I mean I have been JSing a long time and never had that happen. Not enough O2. Now, I will tell ya, that he seemed, IMO, to be not to thrilled to have a FFDO transporting in the cockpit. And of course, it's a no no to deny an FFDO based on that, but it just seemed all very odd. I would have figured that he would have known before I stepped aboard that they were tight on O2 . I mean I'm guessing if I'd been FAA, or Checkairman, or whatever, they'd have had to deny me boarding as well. Anyway, before I talk to our JS chairman on the issue, wanted yall's take....

Incedentally, I JS on yall all the time, and always appreciate and enjoy the ride.

Thanks.....

There is a min PSI value for 2 Crew and a min PSI for 2 Crew + an Observer/Jumpseater.

Your supposed to check it before each leg, because testing of the 02 mask before each leg is required and depletes the bottle.

If the 02 is below the 2 crew+Observer, the jumpseat is defered(noone cane ride in it, even the FAA) and not available for use, until the 02 is serviced.

As to when he caught it, depends when he does the checklist. It may have just dawned on him that it was close and he needed to check. Anyway, sounds like the Captain did the right thing. He checked, it wasn't within limits, and therefore couldn't take you.

Thanks.....

Call TSOC. They will figure out if the o2 was actually low or if this CA needs a little DHS refresher.

I don't always think of that either. Maybe he was on the John, and had a vision. You know, the one where there isn't enough O2 for a 3rd crewmember in the cockpit? Now, the CRJ-200 has this little tiny O2 bottle, and after a few tests of the masks, you find yourself without enough air. So, bye bye, and so long. It was nice knowin ya. And have a Merry Christmas.

And by the way, if I say you can't ride, there's nothing your coordinator can do about it. Gun or not.

I know what the problem was.... the Captain went to restroom to keep from biting through his bottom lip at all the Y'alls going on. Then came back and politely had you deplane.

I don't always think of that either. Maybe he was on the John, and had a vision. You know, the one where there isn't enough O2 for a 3rd crewmember in the cockpit? Now, the CRJ-200 has this little tiny O2 bottle, and after a few tests of the masks, you find yourself without enough air. So, bye bye, and so long. It was nice knowin ya. And have a Merry Christmas.

And by the way, if I say you can't ride, there's nothing your coordinator can do about it. Gun or not.

Hey Oakum. First, I'm pretty familiar with Cpts. authority. Never said he didn't have a right to it. Support it fully.

Just thought I see if yall preflight your O2 for three crew members more than 5 mins past time to push or do ya check it during the postflight, or do you even care whther or not you have a JSer on board, (I'm guessin I know where you stand on that one.) ...that's all.

As for the JS coordinator, I'm well aware of his inability to do anything about it, but he's my contact. But if you tell an FFDO he can't ride cause he's an FFDO, transporting...eh, nevermind, heck just give it try sometime. Make sure you say it just like you did at the end of your post too.

I questioned whether or not to open myself up to some of this kind of tiny dik crap, but hey, I rolled the dice. To those who were helpful, thanks.

I'll leave the regional board back to my JS-less self.

CoolsideP.......Merry Christmas yooooose gise!

See yooose at the PS Fifty Foah Class a' 97 reunion.

Latest resources

Back