COMAIR pension

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

datafox

I've heard rumors that COMAIR began a pension (in addition to a 401(k)) in their last pilot contract. Can someone from COMAIR please confirm or deny this?

If COMAIR does have a pension, you guys rock! How long must you be with the company and how much $ do you get?

I work for ACA. Our union claims that even though we don't have Air Whisky, Air Canada Regional or Comair pay rates we have "hidden money" which makes our contract better. The only problem is that the "hidden money" is nowhere to be found...although I think it may be in management's pocket.

From the contract:

The Company will make an annual contribution to each pilot's account in the Retirement Plan account based on the pilot's length of active service with the Company and eligible earnings for the previous calendar year in accordance with the following:

Active Service Company Contribution

0-4 years 2% of eligible earnings

5-9 years 4% of eligible earnings

10-14 years 6% of eligible earnings

15-19 years 8% of eligible earnings

20 years and thereafter 10% of eligible earnings

BTW, those numbers work out to about $215k based on current numbers, a pilot who starts with the company at age 30, flys 90 hours a month, on average, and upgrades at year 5.

Hi!

I believe that Air WI has a company funded "B" plan retirement, in addition to the standard regional 401K option. Their pay and work rules are significantly better than ACA's.

Cliff
GRB

If those numbers truly do work out to 215k, is that with a stated nominal return of maybe 5% a year?? 4% a year? Or is that 215k without a return factored in? Although certainly better than nothing, those numbers pale in comparison to what a 30 year accountant at my current employer would take after those 30 years are put in. I'd hope that 215k is calculated without factoring in a return from each year the $$$ are set aside. Otherwise inflation will eat away that 215k over the next 30 years. At 2.5% inflation, that 215k would only be worth 102k in today's $$$.

I'd hope the 401k is a 100% match up to 6%, or something worth writing home about. Not to knock the contract Comair agreed to last year, clearly there was progress made, but those numbers are so low.

Tell me I'm wrong about those numbers. Certainly better than nothing but who wants to pinch pennies when you retire??

Mr. I.

V-1's numbers are correct as far as percentage contribution for years of service, however I fail to see how he comes up with 215k after a 30 year career. The following numbers are accurate, however I only included years 1,2,30, and 35 (to include all 35 years would be too much space. Remember, though, this is a combination of both 401(k) and the defined contribution plan so don't think a Comair pilot will retire with 4 million from the defined contribution plan. Also, this is under our present contract so who knows what the contract will look like in 30 years. The assumptions are a 26 year old new hire who spends his entire career at Comair. Hope this helps. It isn't fabtastic by any stretch of the imagination but it is better than what we had before.

YOS
Years Remaining
Salary
Company MPP Contribution Percentage
401(k) Match
Non-Compounded Annual
7% Compound Balance
12% Compound Balance

$21,000
2%
2.5%
$945
-
-

$36,474
2%
2.5%
$1,641
$2,767
$2,896

$360,281
10%
2.5%
$45,035
$1,189,698
$2,173,512

$446,046
10%
2.5%
$55,755
$1,986,565
$4,168,363

I believe the original question was about a pension plan, not a 401(k), therefore I left that out of the equation.

The contract is unclear as to what the pension plan is invested in. Therefore it's impossible using that source to speculate what rate of return one will receive. I also don't have the time to do the math on that.

If it's a company-funded pension plan, the way I see it, the only money they're "giving" you is the principle, which I calculated based on current contract wages @ 90 hours/mo.

I should have mentioned my figures were in today's dollars. I believe that's the best, most conservative way to measure the value of the pension plan. Thanks for asking for clarification.

Regards.

The "pension plan contribution" goes into the same options a 401(k) participant has. It is also allocated the same way the monthly contribution is.

This is an improvement over what we previously had...NOTHING! However, IMO, this is one area we will seek to improve upon in the next contract.

skyboat is on drugs.

Lets see, a Comair pilot retiring with more money than UPS. Yea right!!! That means like you said, you will have a salary of $445,000 35 years from now. Keep dreaming. Aslo you are thinking you are getting a average 7% return on all your investents into your 401k and your salary. Keep dreaming again. I left that rat hole for a reason, no money and no fun. Oh bye the way, my 19,500 I put into my 401k is worth 8,998 today. Gee maybe you should be with management. You have the same fuzzy math. You should have voted no on that contract we went on strike for. Oh well, what is done is done and good luck too you,but stop spreading lies.

I'm glad you left

Over 30 years a 7% return is very realistic. Seems you're the rat, you went running during the strike.
As with all contracts you have to start somewhere.

Latest resources

Back