Comair or Skywest? Please help...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fred_IP,

At SkyWest upgrade time in the RJ is about 3 to 3 1/2 years right now, not 12-18 months. It may go lower. A little over a year ago RJ upgrade time was as low as 2 years 3 months. Recently upgrade time in the Brasilia was over 3 years because they hadn't had any EMB upgrade classes in ages, then all of a sudden it went as low as just over a year. Upgrade times fluctuate all the time. If you are hired as an RJ FO you can upgrade (when your seniority allows it) in the RJ or upgrade in the EMB if you choose, not something I'd reccommend though.

Upgrade time at Comair is around 2-2 1/2 years for the 50. May be less for the 70 but I suspect that will change as the senior folks bid over to it when the schedule improves.

Reserve is about a year (I believe), possibly less.

Moral is fine here (regardless of Mr. Lumber Yak's belief)! The proverbial bridge being burnt is just that -kind of hard to burn a bridge when there was no bridge to begin with) When hiring starts up again at Delta they will hire the ones best suited for the job be that Comair, ASA, Skywest or anyone else for that matter, just like they've done in the past. There is no animosity here towards DAL or anyone else for that matter and if you ask folks here they'll agree. All the "stories" are 4th and 5th hand accounts of something they heard from someone elses friends neighbor. All the DAL folks are wonderful to have on board and have been gracious to me when I've jumpseated. I wouldn't even let this affect your decision.

Both companies are good choices. Pick one that offers you a job. Comair only has one base right now which is lovely, scenic CVG. Skywest has many more base options. If you live out west now, go with Skywest, if you live east, go with Comair.

In the grand scheme of things Comair is a good place to work. I understand from friends that Skywest is also (they do have their problems just like every other airline on the face of the earth). Again, go with the one that offers you a job first.

Which airline, Skywest or Comair, will be doing more flights out of DFW? I see that both Comair and Skywest are expanding there. I'm looking to move back to Plano.

Also, what's Skywest's Reserve time? I heard about six months or so estimated for new hires.

Thanks again for the education.

Currently SkyWest only has a miniscule DFW base of around 4 reserve pilots only. There have been rumors of a real DFW base for over a year, but management says that until our aircraft utilization at DFW increases they won't put a base there. RJ crews do the DFW flying by flowing out from the other bases for now. But things change all the time.

This will kind of go along with your conversation.
I was curious to hear what will happen to the Skywest flights with United in CH. 11? Will United get released from the contract with Skywest? I know SKW is has made and is still making good money, but what if?

FRED_IP, to answer your question, ASA will be doing the majority of flying (new flying) out of DFW. Comair will be doing a lot more than they are now but according to our President, we will be expanding much more to the WEST (SLC), and filling in EAST plus more out of ATL. This does include more flying in DFW but that is mostly ASA. We (ASA/comair) do not have enough planes in our hands to do all the flying Delta wants us to do so they utilize Chautaqua and Skywest.

WE at Comair would love to have a new base...anywhere, we're running out of room in our ops and gates for our planes.

Skywest is shrewd, they are thinking ahead of the game and won't let UAL's Chapter 11 hurt them much.

Skyboat

So what is the upgrade time to Captain in the CRJ now at Comair? Is it dependent on starting as a FO in the 70- or 50-seat CRJ?

Thanx

Skyslug

So what is the latest talk at Comair about a new domicile in the west? I think I remember seeing that Comair was looking at Salt Lake or LAX. Being in the military, I can always relocate when I separate.

Living in CA, SLC would be a better gig for me. But I can't see how Comair would do that since Skywest flies so much out of SLC.

i think u could do fine at either place.. both were on my short list a few years back too.. kinda comes down to personal preference and who offers u the job 1st.. as far as my situation.. if it gives u any help..im at comair..my DOH is 9-99.. was a emb120fo for a month. then went to the RJ as an fo.. was on reserve til 8-00.. but with all the training of both airplanes..actually only spent 4-5 months on reserve.. i was hired with 1000 hrs.. that and because of the strike and the fact i drop some trips here n there i didnt have 3000tt until novemeber this year, otherwise i could have upgraded even sooner like others in my new hire class. anyway.. in november.. basiclly 3 years 3 months here.. i bid capt in the 70seater ill be o reserve as a capt in either plane..might as well get paid more..i am in class now with a handful below me..and an other bid that closed yestrday for (19) 70 seat and (33) 50 seat capts.. some of which should go below me again.. i plan is to stay there on reserve for a year so til i can hold a solid line as 50 capt and then bid back.. good luck in your search/choice.

Bladeusa

If one would meet the 3000 TT, like I should in the next year, with 500 with the company, should I expect to upgrade within a year? I understand Comair is adding many new RJs, as opposed to Skywest which are replacing EMB-120, while also adding some to their fleet.

Thanks!

Latest resources

Back