Comair or Skywest? Please help...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fred_IP

I’ve been reading the forum for a while and I’m looking at joining a regional – getting tired of being out of the country all of the time. There’s many choices, but I’m narrowing my search at either Comair or Skywest. Both seem to be expanding and doing very well.

However, I have some concerns about both, mostly from what I’ve read on THIS board:

- Comair: Upgrade in the CRJ at is about 3 years, versus about 1 at Skywest.
- Skywest: flies a lot for United.
- Comair: new hires don’t get on the line for a few years.
- Skywest: Pay is lower than Comair’s.
- Comair: Their relationship seems to be tainted with some Delta pilots.
- Skywest: no union “protection.”
- Etc, etc, etc

I don't like these “which airline is best” threads, but don’t know which one might be the better choice for me. I’ve got about 2200 military hours, but have not been flying a whole lot in the last two years. I would like to get more PIC hours sooner, so I’m leaning more toward Skywest.

I would appreciate any thoughts to help guide me in this search.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure where you get your info...

Several YEARS to get on the line at Comair. It's been awhile since I was a newhire but I don't see why you would not be starting IOE 4 months after starting class. Not sure where that info you have came from.

I don't think the pay is much different between Comair and Skywest, but don't have specifics on Skywest pay. Comair does have a company funded defined contribution retiremant plan above and beyond the usual 401(k).

IMO, I don't think you would go wrong with either. Several years from now, no one can give you an answer. Three years ago Comair was horrible, but that was leading up to a strike. Mesaba use to be the place to be, now they are stagnant. American Eagle was going to be the place to be... maybe they will be someday. Apply for both, network both like it's the only job out there, take the first class that comes to you and if you're lucky enough to get class from both airlines at the same time get down on your knees, kiss the ground and go with the one that feels right to you in the gut. Sorry, wish I could give you better advice but I don't have a crystal ball.

Last edited:
I agree with the above post. Info is all wrong. No one with one year seniority is upgrading in the RJ. It's running at about 3 years. We have seen some pretty junior people upgrade in the EMB-120 lately but just 6 months ago it was going at 2 1/2 years as well. It is really a dynamic and changing industry,

Both Comair and Skywest are good companies. I again agree that as time goes by, different companies are "the place to be". I have noticed that Skywest has always enjoyed the reputation as a great place to work overall. Skywest's current pay scale is modeled after Comair's and is virtually the same.

That being said, take the one that offers you a class. The "decision" may be academic.

I don't know much about Comair but I enjoy my job at SkyWest. I would say go somewhere with growth. SkyWest is affiliated with United, about half of our flying. But recently management made some interesting announcements about our plans in this difficult economy and how to deal with United's uncertainty. They include seeking out a third or fourth codeshare partner, doing some more at-risk flying, and seriously looking at expanding our fleet by adding "70-130 seat" aircraft. It makes me a little nervous but at the same time I'm glad that management is taking a very proactive approach in these uncertain economic times for airlines. We still have many aircraft on order and newhire classes are continuing which is great.

I've heard other similar good things about the working environment at Skywest. I HEARD the morale at Comair was not too good, but that was before the strike last year.

I don't have any CURRENT info about the pilot morale at Comair. Any comments?

I have a friend at Comair who sat reserve for over two years, caused his moral to very low.

At SkyWest, I think someone who has been there a little over a year may be able to upgrade to EMB120 CA.

In the end, guess it depends on where you want to be. Seems like for the next while, though, you'd spend more time on reserve at Comair.

either place you end up, you'll be stoked to have a flying job.

If you prefer mostly West Coast flying (although expanding Eastward), pick Skywest. Morale is probably low at Comair because its MEC burned its bridges with Delta - if you want to fly for Delta one day, pick Skywest... I also heard that a 717 was spotted at St. George, Utah recently - nice to have the opportunity to fly that someday...

Pick Skywest if given the option!

With Skywest, if you meet the hrs for the left seat, and started in the CRJ, I thought you could upgrade in about 12-18 months in the CRJ. If you went directly to the CRJ as a co-pilot, they wouldn't send you to the left seat in the EMB-120, would they?

I thought Skywest was adding enough CRJs that this wouldn't happen...

Lumber Yak said:
[B I also heard that a 717 was spotted at St. George, Utah recently - nice to have the opportunity to fly that someday...

[/B]

Been to st george lately? I do not have the performance charts handy but i do not think a B-717 can operate at that field. :confused:

Skyboat

So what is the upgrade time to Captain in the CRJ now at Comair? Is it dependent on starting as a FO in the 70- or 50-seat CRJ?

Thanx

Latest resources

Back