• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair or Eagle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the input. I understand the benefits are better, however, I am most concerned about the upgrade times. Any guesses?? I guess professional growth is what matters to me.

I feel your pain brother.......

"Thanks for the input. I understand the benefits are better, however, I am most concerned about the upgrade times. Any guesses?? I guess professional growth is what matters to me."

Looks like your situation is similar to mine. I have just over 4 years here at ALG. There has been zero foward movement since June 02 and none on the horizon. At least I got a type and some 121 PIC out of it.

About a year ago I was a similar question about Comair for myself and decided to stay basically because I calculated the same results as Treme above. Why go to the bottom of another and sit reserve? You know bird in hand.

Not anything against Comair, great company, good guys, the best equipment, and a solid contract. Eagle, well you have the equipment, a solid company and your holding a solid line (I assume) so your flying on a sked and not reserve or biuldup so basically nobody screws with you, you get to fly and go home as you please. Then there are the other issues such as pay cut (first year pay), dealing with training again, new faces, moving ect., for bacisally the same thing but the bottom of the list.

A friend I went thru upgrade with left back in Jan after we got downgraded for Comair. It was an easier commute for him plus some other stuff, but he basically tells me the same as above, he gained some job security and a jet but doesn't hold a line and basically the same pay and bennies. He's happy but being closer to home is what broke the deal for him to switch companies, but says he'll be an FO for a long time.

Anyway hope it helps, I feel your pain, welcome to the land of 6 plus year commuter FO's.

Now if comair announced orders for another 50 crj's then its a whole nother ball game.

Good Luck

PS - join the 15000+ of us in the push for AirTran. Come on, like the HR fax machine down there in FL isn't already working overtime.

geez, I never looked at the numbers before as they're discussed above.

I wonder if they're still telling Comair newhires that it'll be 2.5 years to upgrade and, if so, how they're coming up with that number?

I asked about upgrade time in my interview, and the interviewing captain stated about 5 years, but that is because a lot of my time is helo.

cr7driver,
You are facing the same dilema that I was facing a few months ago. I have been with Eagle for 4.5 years and after the mass flowback talks I put out my resumes. If you do a search, you could probably find my thread...there was quite a bit of info that helped me make my decision. Comair called but here is the reason why I didn't accept.
-I evaluated that with my seniority, there would be a slim chance of furlough even with all the flowbacks.
-I didn't want to have to live or commute to CVG. Eagle has the most bases of any regional.
-Comair is only taking something like 7 A/C deliveries next year...so it may e a while before upgrade (in year 2 at comair as an fo you would make more then your 5 yr pay at AE) But for me I was more interested in PIC time.
-I Didn't really want to go thru all the hoops again i.e. traiing, probation, even the computer ops
-Now that we may have somewhere around 450 flowbacks, our upgrade will be slowed by at least 2 years (assuming 20 Cpt/Mo) assuming A/C deliverires continue beyond 2 years we may then start to upgrade again...at least thats the way I figure it. But at least our FO relative seniority will increase in the mean time.

Those were the main reasons why I stayed but the one thing I know in this industry is its a crp shoot. I may find myself applying to Comair in 10 years so I definetly tried to convey a good impression when I turned them down. You have to consider the whole pay/benefits at Comair is much better now. When I got on with AE in 99, it was a much more attractive choice. I wish that I had gone to Comair but now that I am here it makes better sense for me to tough it out.
Hope this helps

My personal advice - Don't depend on AMR for a future.

They've failed that test REPEATEDLY over the last 10 years.

No guarantees at Comair due to timing, but if I was a betting man, with your worthless 3.5 years, it's a no brainer.

At Comair you could be flying the same 70-seater as a new-hire and your 2nd year pay would equal your 5th year pay at Eagle.

The rest of the bennies and work rules at 2nd year match 5 th year at Eagle.

As far as upgrade goes, count on another 5 years at Eagle. Comair should be no more than that.

You should have learned by now not to listen to the AMR violins promising a desirable future.

Garbage.

Latest resources

Back