comair new hire questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mr roper

i got an acceptance letter in the mail from comair hr dept.... i have several questions that were avoided by HR dept. i havea 121 job now..... im trying to decided to stay put or move on

how long is upgrade time?

how long will i be on reserve?

HR folks mentioned opening an east coast base, where will it be?

will the current financial state of Delta affect comair?

how many days off in a bid when on reserve?

how many days off in a bid when holding a hard line?

which a/c is comair hiring for now?

thanks alot!

Depends on who survives, 10+ years

11 Years

N/A

Yes, DIRECTLY

12ish

12ish

50 Seater

It could be worse!

Good Luck!

how long is upgrade time?

I would plan on 10 years at today's growth (attrition)

how long will i be on reserve?

I have been on for almost a year. Each month it seems like I am only 15 or so away from a line, but still hanging in reserve

HR folks mentioned opening an east coast base, where will it be?

Rumor has it as JFK (if it happens at all)

will the current financial state of Delta affect comair?

Probably

how many days off in a bid when on reserve?

11 or 12 depending on how many days in the month

how many days off in a bid when holding a hard line?

Varies, probably 12-15

which a/c is comair hiring for now?

Good luck

most is accurate, but mostly all of those questions are questionalble, if you have been in the business long enough to know, then you should know, no one knows.

there are no Hard lines, we have preferencial bidding, so most people get 14 days off on an average. If you can hold 4 four day trips.

reserve should last for along time, no new planes, no movement, unless there is a new base, should change things alittle.

A/C, well they will send you to 50 seat Ground school, the a 70 seat week of differences if they want to fill it, which I would guess you would go, since it is a dead end airplane.

the best question for yorself, is where do you want to get stuck or end up?

what about pay, does that concern you?

second year FO pay is $37~$44 p/hr(50-70seats)
DAL travel benefits.

I only mention these things because they exist now, later , who knows??? you know what I mean.

if you are a Capt and have the magical 1000 PIC turbine, then maybe come on over and gather SIC jet time.

If you can upgrade there for not much money as here, but get the type rating. there are many senerios...

good luck, sorry for the dim picture, but it is a good place overall, better than alot of places, just an opinion from all the FO's from Eagle, Lakes, Mesaba, etc.

good luck

You've probably gotten the picture by now but if you're looking for a place with a quick upgrade, Comair is not it. Even if we were still growing, we are so large (1800+ pilots) it would take years to get to the left seat. The good news is it's a great place to be if you're content to be an FO for awhile and you never know...the Delta reorg could shake out in our favor. You can't go to those places where people say FO's are upgrading in 1.5 years because chances are that growth will not continue. It's like picking stocks...if you're reading it in the paper, it's already to late to cash in. The only place I know with a guaranteed upgrade right now in 1.5 to 2 years is the U.S. Air Force. Good luck with your decision.

I can appreciate what my colleagues are trying to say with respect to long reserve/upgrade times but I think that they need to clarify one thing:

No one really has any idea what is going to happen.

There have been a lot of Doom-sayers talking about 10 year upgrades and relatively no growth. And I won't deny the obvious -- that our rapid growth during the last three years has now stagnated. But I am more optimistic about the future; I believe that Delta's survival will require a strong response to low cost competitors and an increasing presence in the Northeast corridor. I believe that Comair, among others, will play an important role in those strategies which will necessitate ongoing growth at our company.

I agree that our future depends, in great part, on current negotiations with mainline pilots and upon other decisions outside Comair's control, but I nevertheless believe that this company -- particularly this pilot group -- has demonstrated the ability to rise to the challenge and will be rewarded accordingly in the not-to-distant future.

We'll see.

Comair has long upgrade times (as discussed) and will focus flying on the East Coast as ASA gets the SLC flying. So, if you like to fly or live out West, I wouldn't consider it unless you want to commute.

I suggest you apply to Pinnacle or CHQ (get to fly an Embreaer 170 one day) for faster upgrade times and the same or better jet equipment - a step up from your Beech. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back