Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

superfreight208

Writing is on the wall!!!

How about all that great on-time performance and completion numbers.....then Delta goes and awards CRJs to Mesaba!!

Lets work even harder!!

Delta, Northwest, Compass, Comair and Mesaba. All are owned by one and the same airline and all fly one product and that is Delta.

Mainline got some pay raises...

Comair is furloughing while Mesaba is hiring...

Comair is loosing airplanes while Mesaba is getting airplanes...

Any other union would not stand for this!

I just heard from the training dept. that we can expect another 40-100 furloughs in February.

I'll be furloughed Jan 19.

1013dot25hPa vbmenu_register("postmenu_1727168", true);

I am in the training department and if someone told you that... It is just rumor at this point. Nobody has been told if there will be more or not.

Sorry, Mesaba is only returning to what it used to be. Mesaba is not stealing your growth, what a pity trip.

Mesaba in 2004: 76 (approx) Saabs, 36 Avro's. Awarded 15 CRJ-200's in 2005, got 2 of them, rest not delivered. Total Aircraft = 113

Mesaba now: 51 Saabs, 36 C900's, 16 (1 not delivered) C200's, 15 more C900's. Total Aircraft = 118, a gain of 2.6%.

Other Mesaba highlights:
1. 3.5 years in negoitiations for contract, 2 past contract expiration.
2. (Sham) Bankruptcy, but with real bankruptcy results in contract degradation.
3. 401k lawsuit (early-mid 2000s)
4. Same as all - multiple furloughs in past years

I know that Mesaba isn't stealing "CA" aircraft. You guy's took it in the rear hard for years. Absolutely NO hard feelings towards you guy's on my part!

But what is going on, does baffle me. After all you aren't just another DCI contract outfit. You are wholy owned as are we. You are hiring and we are furloughing. You'd think there be some middle ground...

Sorry, Mesaba is only returning to what it used to be. Mesaba is not stealing your growth, what a pity trip.

Mesaba in 2004: 76 (approx) Saabs, 36 Avro's. Awarded 15 CRJ-200's in 2005, got 2 of them, rest not delivered. Total Aircraft = 113

Mesaba now: 51 Saabs, 36 C900's, 16 (1 not delivered) C200's, 15 more C900's. Total Aircraft = 118, a gain of 2.6%.

Other Mesaba highlights:
1. 3.5 years in negoitiations for contract, 2 past contract expiration.
2. (Sham) Bankruptcy, but with real bankruptcy results in contract degradation.
3. 401k lawsuit (early-mid 2000s)
4. Same as all - multiple furloughs in past years
You are absolutely right. Everyone thinks that their own brand of suffering is somehow worse than all others.

We need to quit pointing fingers at each other and come up with a solution. How about this? ALL new aircraft deliveries go to mainline, flown by mainline pilots. Staffing would come from WO'd pilots, then new hires as needed (sort of a hybrid flowthru). Mainline ALPA would control the rules for fences, et cetera. Eventually the WO's would be completely absorbed into mainline.

The big drawback? The senior pilots at mainline don't want to see their salary diluted by adding an aircraft type that would cost significantly more than it does now (being flown by WO's). They benefit as much as anyone from the whipsawing of us, the 'vendors.' The lift we provide is cheaper than they could get it for doing it inhouse.

But what is going on, does baffle me. After all you aren't just another DCI contract outfit. You are wholy owned as are we. You are hiring and we are furloughing. You'd think there be some middle ground...

I would imagine those orders were based on NW being NW and not merging. I get what you are saying, it does look bad, but I don't think that this was all planned. Un fun times may be ahead, hopefully the new Delta doesn't employ the wildly successful NW whipsaw machine.

I would imagine those orders were based on NW being NW and not merging. I get what you are saying, it does look bad, but I don't think that this was all planned. Un fun times may be ahead, hopefully the new Delta doesn't employ the wildly successful NW whipsaw machine.
I completely disagree. The NW/DAL plan has most likely been in effect since the codeshare started. I do believe that it has been evolving, but they are still running 3-4 years ahead of what is being released. Including where these 76 seat aircraft are going. This infighting that is taking over the pilot groups is EXACTLY what they would like. The whipsaw is not beginning, it's WELL underway!!

Pilots do not make the decision who/where aircraft go. The fact that CA is losing aircraft is more related to pilot contract negotiations, as is 9E's plight. ASA's, Chataqaua, and the rest is due to service contract negotiations. If you are wholly owned, they want to run at the cheapest price. If you are a contract carrier, they want to pay the least amount, including giving that flying to a wholly owned.

We all know the DCI flying is shrinking, none of us want it to be our own.

Delta, Northwest, Compass, Comair and Mesaba. All are owned by one and the same airline and all fly one product and that is Delta.
Mainline got some pay raises...
Comair is furloughing while Mesaba is hiring...
Comair is loosing airplanes while Mesaba is getting airplanes...
Any other union would not stand for this!
I just heard from the training dept. that we can expect another 40-100 furloughs in February.
I'll be furloughed Jan 19.

You are only forgetting that you are not the only one soon to be on the street. How about all the NWA people when they get rid of DC9-30's that cant/wont flow back to Compass and all people at Compass that will be on the street by summers end.

You are just gettting a head start on all of us.

Yes it sux!!! most at compass have been there 1-2 x's before. 3rd time is the charm right????

You are only forgetting that you are not the only one soon to be on the street. How about all the NWA people when they get rid of DC9-30's that cant/wont flow back to Compass and all people at Compass that will be on the street by summers end.

You are just gettting a head start on all of us.

Yes it sux!!! most at compass have been there 1-2 x's before. 3rd time is the charm right????

Jumping the gun a little, huh? No talk of furloughs, YET. May happen, but my personal opinion is that we will not need to furlough. But, you knew the risk when you were hired at Compass, you created your own charm this time. BTW, I've been furloughed in the past as well. I know the risk, and I accept it and deal with it!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back