COMAIR F/O's...Where have you gone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

citdrver

I have seen numerous Comair FO's on this board, and the more I see thier profiles, I notice many have left. Where are the FO's going? Guys like gunfyter, furloughed again, etc. I used thier info quite a bit to learn about the company before I was hired. I quietly looked for them in the crew room, but then I too quit. I had an offer I couldnt refuse in corporate so I also joined them and left Comair behind.

I also noticed the FO attrition on the senority list, so folks where ya all goin'??

Just had a better opportunity come along Citdrvr.

Better job security, better financial upside. Couldn't pass it up.

Good luck!

For those of you who left for Corporate/Charter..How are you liking it? Also where did you find your companies? I've been contemplating the same thing...unfortunately I don't have any "ins" at any particular place?

About the only thing going for me right now is Delta pass bennies and I'd almost just rather pay the money for possitive space, especially nowadays when a ticket anywhere is only around $150...

feel free to PM me

From what I've been hearing more and more are being asked to leave, Captains too....its starting to become a witchhunt again like pre-strike...makes for a real positive work atmosphere....JetBlue take me away.........

Last edited:
It's not a witch-hunt as in pre-strike. Those who "left involuntarily" (primarily last year) were mainly asked to leave for attitude and poor judgement, and past problems. This year only around 4 or so have "left involuntarily" for the same things. Keep in mind one reason no one wants to "fire" anyone or strongly suggest anyone "quit" is due to training costs.

Most however, as you've said, have left for other venues, corporate, JetBlue, HP and WN, etc and are eligible for rehire.

Last edited:
I and the other former USMC F/O that I know who left, departed for better paying jobs closer to home. I'm managing the aviation contracts for a major oil company in the Gulf, he's flying for a corporate outfit in his home town. Neither of us were asked to leave, and we are both eligible to reapply at the bottom of the list if we ever feel the urge.

Frankly, once you get to a certain age, you have a responsibility to your family to provide properly for them. Being stuck in the right seat at Comair for an undefined period of time wasn't doing that for me.

I don't regret leaving, as I enjoy my new job and I'll do some limited flying in the future, but I will say that the majority of the folks I worked with there were good folks and I only hope that they all succeed in their future endeavors.

Frankly, once you get to a certain age, you have a responsibility to your family to provide properly for them. Being stuck in the right seat at Comair for an undefined period of time wasn't doing that for me.

I totally agree! I went back into corporate I am doing well. More time at home, more money, les work. Many people questioned me about job security in the corporate world, but I was at the bottom of the list at Comair and nowdays that is in no way secure.

It was odd quiting, noone said a thing to me after I put in my two weeks notice, until my second to last day when I called the Chief pilot and asked what do I have t do to quit. The I turned in my stuff and drove home. noonw asked why, where I am going, how come I was leaving? Just a bit odd I guess.

At least you had the chance to check out the part 121 world and figure out if it was for you or not... Many people sit on the corporate/fractional side and think the grass is so much greener on the other side. It ain't - especially on the regional side. But I guess you need to experience it yourself to know that.

On the plus side, CRJ/ERJ time can't be too bad in terms of EFIS training for people who want to fly sophisticated biz jets... Suddenly those Gulfstreams and high-end Falcons don't seem as intimitdating after flying a CRJ-700...

sleeve said:
About the only thing going for me right now is Delta pass bennies and I'd almost just rather pay the money for possitive space, especially nowadays when a ticket anywhere is only around $150....
Those things aren't worth the paper they're written on. Flights packed to the guills (sp) trying to get a seat. Its worth it to buy a ticket as cheap as they are!

Comair hired quite a few very qualified pilots over the last few years. It was a safe haven for furloughees and we are very thankful for that!

Retaining these pilots will be a challenge, however. For better or for worse, a long tenure as First Officer (7-10 years) will not yield the financial security that most major-airline furloughees are looking for.

I wasn't actively job-hunting when this opportunity presented itself -- but when it did I had to take a critical look at Comair - my job security, my lifestyle, and my compensation.

I think I made the right decision for my family and I. Only time will tell.

Latest resources

Back