• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair Classes cancelled

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So you have more job security at Air Tran than I have at ASA?

Yes.

You seem to be more worried about getting furloughed than I am....

I'm not really that worried, personally. There's a small chance that the furloughs could get to me, but it's unlikely. At my seniority, we'd have to cut a lot of flying for furloughs to reach me.

Using your logic, in addition to Air Tran, there is more job security at United, Spirit, Frontier, ASTAR, and USAirways than at ASA/Skywest.....Is that correct?

No, you've picked the carriers with the worst job security, Joe. Why didn't you mention the other majors? Delta, NWA, JetBlue, SWA, etc...? They all have much better job security than any regional could ever hope for. It's simple: you have zero job security when your company isn't really an airline, but only a contractor. You don't work for an airline. You work for a company that is owned by a holding company that contracts with an airline that is owned by yet another holding company. In other words, you're really only a subcontractor. Your "security" can be RFPed into oblivion at the drop of a hat.

That's your opinion...I disagree....As long as Delta stays afloat I believe ASA will be flying out of ATL....We will shrink some...but we will continue to feed Delta as long as they are around...Delta is looking better than Air Tran and is starting to put the screws to Air Tran....

PCL_128 said:
I'm not really that worried, personally. There's a small chance that the furloughs could get to me, but it's unlikely. At my seniority, we'd have to cut a lot of flying for furloughs to reach me.

Not talking about furlough....I'm not sure Air Tran is going to survive this....Delta has a much better shot....

PCL_128 said:
No, you've picked the carriers with the worst job security, Joe. Why didn't you mention the other majors? Delta, NWA, JetBlue, SWA, etc...? They all have much better job security than any regional could ever hope for. It's simple: you have zero job security when your company isn't really an airline, but only a contractor. You don't work for an airline. You work for a company that is owned by a holding company that contracts with an airline that is owned by yet another holding company. In other words, you're really only a subcontractor. Your "security" can be RFPed into oblivion at the drop of a hat.

You are equating "job security" with owning one's code and having scope language to go along with that....Air Tran, Midwest, Frontier, Spirit, United, USair, and ASTAR all "own" their code and have scope language to go along with it.....Doesn't mean they have "job security"....I think ASA has more at this time....

Your absolutely correct that our flying can "be RFPed into oblivion"...That is because of ALPA's failure....We have no scope....Therefor we need to remain competitive so as to avoid that situation....

We make money as long as we have the contract....So we need to keep the contract...Making money as a Delta feeder is more secure than being at Air Tran right now IMO....You will disagree....Time will tell......

Your absolutely correct that our flying can "be RFPed into oblivion"...That is because of ALPA's failure....We have no scope....Therefor we need to remain competitive so as to avoid that situation...

Translation: Joe Merchant will do his part to maintain lowering the wage scale against you in order to ensure his own safety and security in the little piece of ATR heaven he's sliced out for himself.

Translation: Joe Merchant will do his part to maintain lowering the wage scale against you in order to ensure his own safety and security in the little piece of ATR heaven he's sliced out for himself.

Everyone is trying to ensure their own "safety and security" at this point....At least I am honest about it.....It's fixin to get ugly and I am going to do whatever is necessary to hold onto my seat....

Sorry if the truth destroys your perfect image of this so-called union we belong to.....

You are kidding, right?

As if you, or ANYONE else posting here wouldn't do the exact same thing: preserve your own best interests.

Perhaps by even paying to occupy the right seat of an airliner, right?

Without the ability to strike, there is no such thing as unity or an effective union. This is the new reality, Mr Quixote.

Your costs now dictate whether or not you have a job. The only reason there is an entity known as DCI is because RJs and ATRs can do flying for Delta cheaper than Delta can do flying for Delta. Or Airtran, for that matter... Think about that...

Your costs now dictate whether or not you have a job. The only reason there is an entity known as DCI is because RJs and ATRs can do flying for Delta cheaper than Delta can do flying for Delta. Or Airtran, for that matter... Think about that...

How small-minded of you. Had the old-timers not sold out their scope and had the new guys, like Merchant, not been so willing to swallow a load of sh*t wages, we all would be flying for mainline.

So there you have it. It's a race to the bottom, and you all are contestants.

Last edited:
How small-minded of you. Had the old-timers not sold out their scope and had the new guys, like Merchant, not been so willing to swallow a load of sh*t wages, we all would be flying for mainline.

So there you have it. It's a race to the bottom, and you all are contestants.

Your logic is flawed.

The door to the airline pilot profession starts at roughly $22 per hour these days. If I, or Joe, or even yourself, don't take the job, someone else will. Simple fact.

You do understand that, right?

Your logic is flawed.

The door to the airline pilot profession starts at roughly $22 per hour these days. If I, or Joe, or even yourself, don't take the job, someone else will. Simple fact.

You do understand that, right?

Preemption to be the biggest loser. If there was any sort of self-respect left in this profession, pilots would refuse the common assumption that all pilots are whores, therefore I should be one too.

What you have there is not a simple fact, but a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back