Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Getting carded for the ATP

avratdwc said:
I would love to be able to take the practical after the written. The only problem being that I am not old enough to take it.
I hear you. But I love it. Old enough to vote, old enough to be drafted, old enough to drink, but not old enough to take the ATP!

Don't you hate it? It's like your father saying that you can have something - when you're old enough.

Anyway, good luck with your efforts.

I can't believe you guys. Put the ATP written on your resume and then not take it. Buy the CD, practice the test for 4-5 hours and go take it. You will pass in the high 80's low 90's guaranteed. It is not like anyone cares if you know the stuff..........

Hi!

I tried to get into Comair for quite a while.

My credentials were:
ATP (written and flight test-given by a senior ASA captain)
1650 total time
660 multi-engine jet

I have a letter on file that I did not meet the minimum qualifications for hire-dated 1993.

Cliff
GRB

PS-I took the ATP test prep (and FE written prep) by All ATPs. It was good.

PPS-I applied to ASA and used my Examiner's name, at his suggestion, and I never heard back from ASA.

ATP written

They do like you to have your ATP written, but the ATP ratng isn't required. IMO, i wouldn't pay the extra money just to have the ATP on my license if you don't need it in your current job. for example, if you're still flight instructing, having the rating isn't going to make you that much more attractive unless you're moving up to turbine equipment.

i'll get the ATP rating when i upgrade to captain, that way the airline pays for the ride. at worst, i'll have to buy a new Gleim CD and take the written again.

for those curious, here's the breakdown of my Comair class:
6 furloughed airline pilots (2 from majors, 4 from other regionals)
5 retired military
1 corporate
1 cargo pilot
1 academy grad

captainv

captainv,
I believe the written is good as long as your employed by a pt. 121 carrier. I took the written last year (when i got hired here) and am gonna do the same thing (wait til upgrade for the free atp ride) but i'm pretty sure the written won't expire until your no longer employed...but you may want to double check..if you find out for sure let me know.

the written doesn't expire for pt 121. Just take the test anytime and send a copy to your company to put in your file.

avratdwc said:
I would love to be able to take the practical after the written. The only problem being that I am not old enough to take it.

If I remember correctly, you can take the test before your birthday, it just doesn't become effective until the date.

Of course, that might have changed.

Latest resources

Back