Comair Academy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Summer uniforms

This subject is addressed on another thread, but everyone wore uniforms year 'round at FlightSafety in Vero. We didn't have to wear ties in the summertime. No one complained, and Vero gets just as hot as Central Florida.

Last edited:
I went to CAA about 2 years ago. I can tell you only what I remember of course when I was there. The Training was fairly good. The planes were old, and very used, but what do you expect with hundreds of new students using them. One bone to pick that I had was the ground school instructors(not all of them). They had been students also and sitting in your seat just a number of months ago, not to mention they rotate and all/or did. Which means, not too knowlegable, having freshly studied it themselves, and it showed sometimes. There were surprisingly a couple full time teachers who had been there a while, and were very smart, don't remember their names. I don't mean to say that's a major drawback, just thinking about what I thought at the time. I jumped out early after my Com/Multi. Went to towing banners for twice the pay as the Instructors were getting. Sad. Also had a fun time (almost) towing in a J3 supercub. (Don't ever, I mean Ever fly for Paramount Air Service, Shady place).
They didn't/don't have uniforms which is great, in that hot humid WX.

If I were to start over again I'd have to say I would go to my local FBO and get the ratings for Far less money. Just think, you'll have exactly the same ratings as someone who paid 60k+(maybe, The thing your paying for is the brand NAME in some cases, granted quality of training varies). But the price all might be irrelevant to you if All you want is the bridge program so you can Possibly/maybe get in the back door to Comair Airlines.
The Instructors were getting $7/hr. when I was there. You could get paid better at Mc D's.
I had a fun time there though, made some good friends.

If I had the money to blow, I'd go to Flight Safety, I've heard alot of good things through the years about them.

Just my .2 cents.

Ground school instructors

WingRider said:
One bone to pick that I had was the ground school instructors(not all of them). They had been students also and sitting in your seat just a number of months ago, not to mention they rotate and all/or did. Which means, not too knowlegable, having freshly studied it themselves, and it showed sometimes.
That is typical flight school. We had the same situation at FSI. Instructors who were waiting their turn in the airplanes taught ground school. I think we had maybe one experienced instructor who taught ground school.
If I were to start over again I'd have to say I would go to my local FBO and get the ratings for Far less money. Just think, you'll have exactly the same ratings as someone who paid 60k+(maybe, The thing your paying for is the brand NAME in some cases, granted quality of training varies).
That is really the issue. 141 training, by definition, will be consistent. You have to jump through many hoops, i.e., stage checks, to make it through to the end. Although some stage check pilots turn stage checks into sado-masochistic events, the purpose of stage checks is to assure you have a minimum level of knowledge and skill to succeed at the next step of training. In addition, many of the schools with so-called airline ties train students according to airline standards. That is an impressive piece of advertising, but what it really means is you learn line procedures consistent with the airplanes you're flying and training you're receiving. That can help you down the road with more advanced flying. You might find that kind of situation to be worth it. Just the same, Part 141 and Part 61 students have to meet the same standards.

Once again, good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back